• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sidelock and Hammer question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a percusion lock with a brass lockplate? I'm not talking about on the opposite side of the lock, but the plate on the lock itself? For that matter, same question for the hammer as well?

fcderosa said:
Has anyone ever seen a percusion lock with a brass lockplate? I'm not talking about on the opposite side of the lock, but the plate on the lock itself? For that matter, same question for the hammer as well?

Nope, I haven't? :idunno:

Tom

A Mowrey is about that. Mine wore after several hundred rounds to where the hammer could be moved from side to side. I started useing grease and it never started miss fireing. Geo. T.

Geo T said:
A Mowrey is about that. Mine wore after several hundred rounds to where the hammer could be moved from side to side. I started useing grease and it never started miss fireing. Geo. T.

I considered mentioning the Mowrey but that really doesn't qualify as a lock plate....does it?
And they were reputed to wear rapidly. That might explain why they vanished from the scene.

Brass or Bronze?

Davis makes a number of optional lockplates out of brass and there are bronze plates available for siller locks in particular.

I have a Davis "brass" squirrel lock on my 40 cal and it's plenty "tough" enough for regular use.

(never had a brass buttplate fail on me either).

Agree, the brass plate is much softer than iron/steel - but if you aren't going at it with sharp metal tools, the plate is just fine.

All the guts/hammer are still steel - the plate is simply the mount that keeps them where they belong.. (and it sure looks pretty)

My wife is finishing a Tip Curtis with a brass lock plate. The only shortcoming I can see is that tumbler hole will wear faster than in a steel plate but it shouldn't be much of a task to bush it when that finally happens. A friend had a '55 Springfield that he had a brass lock plate made for and then had it engraved. He shot it for years with no issues.

Here is one made of brass (left hand mule ear)
The other one has a copper lock plat Right hand mule ear
The copper one was made in 2001 and it hasn't fell apart yet!
The Brass one was made in 1998 same thing still shooting them!

Back