• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Altering the sidelock. . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can a Cabela's Investarms sidelock be altered to fit a trade rifle barrel? On a Cabela's Investarms 28" barrel an area, under where the nipple sets an area about 3/16" x 3/16 is machined out to accommodate the lockplate which is straight. On the trade rifle, the lockplate has a small area machined out about 3/1 6 deep to accommodate the barrel which hasn't been machined. The question is; Can the Cabela' lockplate be filed to accommodate the trade rifle's barrel?
Thanks, Steve

Are you planning to use an Investarms percussion side lock in a Trade Rifle that you are intending to build or replacing a lock in a Trade Rifle you own? It sounds as if you have both locks, and you want to install the Investarms lock. There are better aftermarket locks than the Investarms lock such as those supplied by L&R.

Can you post some pictures of the two locks?

Just at this moment, I cannot. Right now I have a very good conditioned trade rifle barrel in .45 and very sweet stock with a non-trade lock. Soon, when it arrives, there will be a trade rifle that looks "bad" but may not be, which I'm intending to use for parts to enhance others already in possession. The question of the thread came when I began to think 🤔 that it, (the trade rifle may be better than a parts gun). Hence the problem with buying on-line, we never really know what we've bought until it's in our hands. And others tell me, "You think to much". Yea, no help for me. Thanks, Steve

Surprise, surprise the trader came today, three days before scheduled. More surprises, it isn't as ugly as the pictures. Ya, the builder wasn't real experience but neither am I. Stock is oiled, barrel hasn't been cleaned yet, this and that, whatever. It'll have to be dealt with. Just like buying a used car. Things need to be done. See pictures of the different locks. By the time Saturday comes around I'll see clearer about what to do. One thing is clear, only a gunsmith should work on the parts I was considering altering. I don't have the knowledge or experience to do changes I was considering. We wonder and learn or wander and pay. Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• 20240306_123325.jpg
    20240306_123325.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240306_123358.jpg
    20240306_123358.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240306_123420.jpg
    20240306_123420.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back