• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy arms sidelock loose trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelheadwill

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I recently picked up this Navy arms sidelock 50 caliber, it appears unfired.
I'm not familiar with side locks and it appears to be missing a screw from the trigger plate assembly
at uncocked and half cock the trigger will move back and forth approx 5/16 of an inch, and slightly less at full cock, it's safe at half cock, and breaks crisp from full cock.
I have several other BP firearms including set triggers and this behavior along with the empty threaded hole near the trigger gives me pause.
Thanks for your consideration and thoughts on this.
Willard

Attachments

• IMG_20231128_123111_262~2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231128_123147_920~2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231128_123228_790~2.jpg
    IMG_20231128_123228_790~2.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231128_123243_943~2.jpg
    IMG_20231128_123243_943~2.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 0
Re: Typo, 5/16 should have been 5/8ths of an inch, thanks.
It moves a lot...
I could find no options for editing OP.

My Navy Arms mule ear rifle is set up the exact same way. The trigger is not attached to the trigger plate, it is simply pinned to the stock in the lock mortise. There is a LOT of free play in the trigger. I think the second screw hole you are seeing is simply because the manufacture used that trigger plate for more than one firearm. I'm not sure I can build my trigger up enough to reduce that play so I'll probably replace the trigger.

Add wood to the trigger hole to remove the side play. Front to back add a piece under bottom of the trigger blade. Add it to allow space for full cock not hammer down.

Thanks everyone 🙏
That's just the info I was hoping for,
Sidelock, mule ear, synonymous.
Appreciate everyones comment and help with my issue.
Best wishes, Willard.

Latest posts

Back