• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should I file sight base to match flats on barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently filed the dovetails and installed my sights. The bases on the sights are wider than the flats on my 13/16ths barrel. Is it ok to leave these bases wide or should they be filed to match the flats?

If you have to adjust your sights for windage, it is advantageous for the base to be wider than the flats of the barrel. Once you have the perfect group, you could file the sight base, but even then its not necessary. My sight bases protrude outside the flats of my barrel.

I recently filed the dovetails and installed my sights. The bases on the sights are wider than the flats on my 13/16ths barrel. Is it ok to leave these bases wide or should they be filed to match the flats?
I have seen sights both flush and extended. My personal opinion is that if it is neat, not too wide, or a fuzz past, looking like a failed flush, either way is OK. If you are asking about period correctness, I am not able to answer that one.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Latest posts

Back