• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasam

32 Cal
Reaction score
So just as the title states. Any recommendations for a single or double percussion shotgun? Preferably used and 800$ or under

I had a CVA Gobbler 12 ga single barrel I wish I hadn't sold. Also a Perdersoli 10 ga Dbl. Gobbler was beter. I settled on an AEM (?) 20 dbl that I really like the feel of and sent off for jug choing to Caywood. We had an "issue" and I have yet to fire it to check the pattern but at 25 yds with the skychief load it was a good turkey gun. Kinda up to you. If you can find a CVA Gobbler and get it jug chked I think you'd be pleased and I wont let my 20ga go (bought on gunbroker several years ago for $250). If I had to sell I would get at least double now as I know what it ca do. BTW (sorry Brit) it LOVES 1F and using 1F its quite manageable recoil wise.

You can often find some very nice original percussion doubles if you look, I have bought several that came in sometimes circuitous routes from the Shoots at Friendship. Some of the English ones handle like a dream.

Lots of times they are cheaper than the modern clunky stuff.

You may be better off for your first smoothbore with a single barrel 12 gauge. It will be easier for you to learn the loading process and not confuse you as to "did I load the left barrel or the right"? Besides you most likely will only get one shot at that bird or rabbit ;). After that go for an SXS in any gauge you want. I LOVE a good SXS. My first gun my dad purchased for me to hunt with was a Manhattan SXS 12-gauge breach loader. I loved that gun it had 28" barrels and was choked in modified and full. Great all-around hunting gun.;):thumb:

You may be better off for your first smoothbore with a single barrel 12 gauge. It will be easier for you to learn the loading process and not confuse you as to "did I load the left barrel or the right"? Besides you most likely will only get one shot at that bird or rabbit ;). After that go for an SXS in any gauge you want. I LOVE a good SXS. My first gun my dad purchased for me to hunt with was a Manhattan SXS 12-gauge breach loader. I loved that gun it had 28" barrels and was choked in modified and full. Great all-around hunting gun.;):thumb:
Thank you all. Thinking I would prefer a single barrel in 12 or 20. Mostly will be used for squirrels over my dog in coastal Ga swamp bottoms. Trees never really lose their leaves here

A 69cal smoothbore is a single barrel shotgun. It's 14ga and Track has everything you'll need. We use our 1842 Springfield smoothbores all the time in this role when we're administering the Course of Fire for NRA Muzzleloading Instructor qualification.

I wanted a 20 ga single barrel but was on a budget. The least expensive solution was my percussion T/C Renegade. I had an extra barrel bored out to a 62 caliber smoothie. Fifty bucks for the barrel and a hundred to bore it out. Easy to swap barrels with my drop in fifty caliber. Patched round ball is darn accurate to 60 yards and it will break clay birds for trap shooting. It isn't pretty and is slow to load (sorta like me) but it does the job.

Jeff

Back