• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun muzzle velocity.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNKS

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi. How do you guys go about testing the muzzle velocity of your smoothbore shotguns please. What instrument do you use? I ask because we are not getting consistent results from our F! chrony which is the most common one used over here. The loads I use are adequate, I can break clays, I do not hunt! But it would be nice to check the difference between various loads.
Thanks.

I've used a couple of different machines in the past but have been using my Oehler since I bought it 25 years ago.

There was a recent substantial thread on doublegunshop.com about measuring muzzle loader velocity. The main thrust was that bits of wad or ash going more slowly bring the average velocity down quite a bit. The answer was to us a baffle, which means to shoot through a hole in a partial sheet of plywood. The slow moving stuff doesn't tend to go straight and therefore will be stopped by the baffle and not get measured. I would certainly wear safety goggles with doing this, just cause.

Back