• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How is stock configuration (drop at heel, drop at comb, TP, cast-off, pitch etc) determined to achieve proper shotgun fit?. Is there a scientific or mathematical method of determination rather that just trial and error??

Cody

Good question that I am sure a real stock fitter has an answer for. I have enough SxS's here that when I had my last gun built, I took the one that fit me the best I pointed where I looked and copied it. I close my eyes, shoulder the gun and when I open my eyes, they are looking squarely down the rib.

There is not a mathmatical method. Much depends on what kind of stance, style, etc. is used for shotgunning and there are some different schools of thought for that.

If you own a factory modern shotgun, the chances of it not correctly fitting you are greater than it being a good fit.

I have not seen or heard of anyone making flintlock, period correct smoothe guns who has any experience on stock fit. The last maker I conferred with in person made beautiful guns but when he wanted to argue that length of pull was the most important measurement for gun fit I knew he had know knowledge of smooth gun fit.

I dont think the average gunner had his stock fit back then just like the average gunner today makes do with something off the shelf that feels best.
Gun fit is most critical when one is not shooting a pre-mounted gun. You should be able to bring the gun to your face (not face to the gun) while standing in the correct posture in which to shoot.

One thing is for certain. Maximum ability will never be realized without correct fit.

The factor of the gun shooting to point of aim must be in place to go forward to a stock fit.

Detailed stock fit is pointless unless someone has taken many many hours to perfect a correct gun mount.

hope some of this rambling can be understood

I have Adams & Co price list from around 1870, he says, "When a gun is required to special dimensions, either an old gun should be sent, or else a correct measurement given, directions for taking which will be found below".

There's a diagram showing the 5 measurements to be taken with the right hand lock at half cock. Can you find a gun that fits you and then measure it?

Here's a fun page, someone has penned in the prices for Extra close shooting, Thomas's top snap action and Rebound locks. Love those prices :thumbsup:

For ML content, "Being large Exporters to the colonies, A. & Co. can take in Exchange Muzzle Loaders at their full value".
extras.jpg

a pro stock fitter will know if a stock fits you or not. You want the gun to shoot where you look. You dont look at anything but the target when using a shotgun.
A stock fitting before someone actually knows how to correctly mount a shotgun and repeatedly do it the same every time is useless.

these guys can correctly fit you by adding components to the gun. [url] http://gunfitter.com/[/url]

These guys make the stock to your dimensions.[url] http://wenig.com/[/url]

some good sites[url] http://www.woolleyshooting.com/articles.html http://www.ospschool.com/know.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The email is for a guy named Rollin Oswald. He compiled a book on stockfitting for those who cant get to a stock fitter. The info. is super and I bought it. He can also send it to your email and you can download the bood on your pc.

[email protected]

Here is a post from one of his ads....

A lot of things can limit how well you can or will ever be able to shoot. Some are relatively easily corrected, like gun fit, while others are more difficult, visual and emotional difficulties, for example.

Simply put, the gun mount, stance, body posture (shooting form) you use has a great effect on how well you shoot. The correct form is the one that, over the years, has proven to result in the best scores. You don’t use it for one of two reasons. Either you don’t know what it is or, more likely, the dimensions on your gun’s stock prevent its use. It is one shooting limitation that can be corrected quite easily.

The easiest and quickest way to solve the problem is to visit a good, professional, stock fitter. The best ones will discuss the shooting form your present stock dimensions force you to use. If you agree to correct your form, the fitter will change your stock dimensions to allow the correct form to be used.

Not everyone can visit a stock fitter. It was for that reason that “Stock Fitting Secrets” was written. The book discusses shooting form in detail and how ill fitting stock can be changed to allow the correct form to be used. The book also describes how each dimension can be changed, usually with no more than the help of a local gunsmith who needs know nothing about stock fitting.

A word of warning: “Stock Fitting Secrets” is not a quick-and-dirty checklist for getting a gun to fit. It can’t be; stock fitting is too complex. The book is a course in stock fitting, one that takes time to learn and understand so you will wind up with a well fitting gun and a correct shooting form to raise your scores.

To get more information about ordering the book, click on the Website Address above.

Rollin

to me there are two kinds of fit.. the simple fit is when you stand in your shooting stance, hold the gun up to your cheek and aim at a pattern board, the pattern average is centered after a series of shots... most shot gunners will say not to aim and this is correct for most shots expecially fast gunning like skeet.. you pull the gun up look over the barrel and shoot at the pattern board.. i aim the gun for patterning by putting the regular pressure on the comb with my cheek and looking over the front bead and kneeling squeez the trigger.. if i have to shoot fast i look over the barrel, pulll in front of the bird and subconscously fire.. shotgunners can argue all night on this and never resolve this.. but it is remarkable how well one can shoot without concously aiming, with both eyes open, the faster closer the bird the more advantages this is.. if your a trap shooter your pattern board would be about 40 yards or more or less depending on how fast you shoot. a skeet shooter is about 22 yards away.. a very fast trap shooter will want a high pattern becouse when he slaps the trigger, when the shot gets to the clay, its about one foot higher, and the connect if all is working right.. you can make any single barrel shot gun fit unless its comb is in the way.. if so, wood will have to be removed.. usually a black powder shotgun will have to have quite a bit of rise on the comb to get it on target at 40 yards, as the shot is slow..keep the comb (where you put your cheek) level or have it rise slightly as it moves away from the barrel so it wont bite your cheek.. pitch is the angle at thebutt and this can also raise lower the shot pattern , and increase, decrease percieved recoil... cast off is the amount the stock moves away from the cheek and this can reduce recoil if it is moving away from strait, andmake room for your cheek to be in line for you eye to sight down the barrel if a strait stock is in the way.. as you move the comb up you can move it over either way. for sighting in.. the hotter the load the higher/lower it can shoot, but that depends on alot of factors.. shot weight, your wieght, barrel time due to barrel lenght etc, etc. its best to get on a pattern board and see what is going on.. if your shooting all over head shots ideally you would pattern over head.. or downward etc.. usually most shooters pattern on the level on a calm day.. side by sides are more difficult becouse you have to pattern so the sight hits in the center of the two barrels, or you sight the fuller(tighter choke on at 40-50 yards depending on the game your after, and open up the right barrel untill it covers at 25-30 yards.. so there are alot of ways to do this.. and this is for modified full choke, and medoum to long range shots.. it would be differnt yardages for skeet for example, or early in the pheasant season, over a dog etc.... to make the stock fit i build them up with wood and masking tape or card board and tape and cover this with cloth camo tape from wall mart. looks like manure, but noone at the trap club is laughing after theyve seen some one shoot with a well fitting gun..... . so skeet guns stock fit is different from trap guns , pheasant guns could be a combiniation of this.. the best fit is the one that works in the field.. this gets into the second part of fit,, handleing, what fits you to hit, and then what weight is best to keep you from getting tired on a long day after pheasants, , or heavy to reduce recoil when pass shooting geese with heavy loads.. at any rate when you get a good fitting gun, with a good load, the birds, or clays will start to fall... dont rush this, make it a learning experience and enjoy it as you go... shot gunning is a long range plan, and a consitent effort in the direction you want it to go, with paying attention to gun mechanical, your personal physicle build, and your shooting experience/ability..... good luck dave..

Back