• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shotgun chronograph recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm am looking to purchase a chronograph to use for my muzzleloading shotgun. Not just my shotgun but that's first on my list. I'm looking for something affordable and something that works for "shot" loads. All help is appreciated and of course i will post some data once I get it. Thanks guys

I have a Chrony FII (I think that's the model) that I have used without the sun- screens installed. I put a piece of folded metal (old parking sign) over the front to protect it from shot. There's a sweet spot where it will register, and my best guess is that it sees the shot before it really spreads out, or it picks up the cards. RIght about 11-feet from the muzzle I get consistent readings that seem to be about what I'd expect. For instance, wtih a 12-gauge using a 1 1/8 ounce scoop of powder and shot I get 1145 FPS average. Another side note, with Pyrodex RS and Goex FFFg the average is the same. When I checked my waterfowl load of 1 5/8 oz (and the shot was Bismuth so actually weight is a hair different) the RS produced a faster velocity than the FFFg repeatedly. Not enough to fret over, but almost 50 FPS difference. Last conclusion from me - what the pattern looks like at the range you're going to use it is more important than the velocity of the load.

I started looking at my powder and comparing them. The olde eynsford 3f was larger than my swiss 2f. Schuetzen 1f I suspect is the largest but it is the only 1f I have. Too much variance between the brands.

how far are you taking waterfowl with the 12ga and bismuth?
With the gun with choke tubes, I have the Mod and IM tubes and with the best loads I confirmed by patterning, easy 35-yards.
I am shooting decoying ducks at a pond so I can control when I shoot somewhat. Same with cranes and geese coming in on a field.
With the fixed choke gun they are essentially Skeet and Light Modified. I've made shots at the same 35-yards but I intentionally shoot the tighter barrel first as the Skeet choke is a much less dense pattern at that range. At just 5-yards less it is good and 5-yards less than that is great. So at a stretch the LM barrel can cover 35-yards and the SK barrel can cover 30-yards, but 30 and 25 respectively increases the effectiveness noticeably.
It took roughly 8 different load combos per barrel to figure out the right pattern, and then I repeated it 3-more shots to be sure it was consistent. Then I decided on the load that would be good out of both barrels with different chokes. #5 Bismuth is the shot. Choked tubed gun gets 1 1/4 oz scoop of powder and shot. Fixed choke gun gets 1 1/8 oz scoop powder and shot. Both have 3 over-powder cards over powder, 1 over-shot card.

Back