• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shot the New Englander today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
:) Well I finally got out and made some smoke today with the 12Ga New Englander that I got sometime ago. I took the advise of you on the forum. I was very happy with some of the loads I tried. I know there are more to try but for shooting the Minnesota grouse I think I will do just fine.

The loads were all the same.( 75GR FF and 1oz #6 Shot. All shot with a cyle choke at 28 YDS. The card arangements was different

The 1st was 4 thin SC over the powder and 2 thin SC over the shot. picture I hope.
The 2nd was 2 1/8 inch SC over the powder and 2 thin SC over the shot. Both did very good I think. picture I hope.
The 3rd was a cushion wad over the SC with shot on top. lot of open spots. Not very tight.
The 4th was the same as above with a couple cleaning patches. Also the same result lot of open spaces.
I used my crisco/bee wax/olive oil mix for lube. Just a lite lubed patch before adding the shot.

Does it make a difference how hard you put the SC's over the shot? I just put them home, with out a tap.

Pictures are small hope you can see. Must be doing something wrong with pictures
[url] http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/51349/6shot003-1.jpg[/url]
[url] http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/51349/6shot006.jpg[/url]

:hmm: :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell what the patterns look like in the pics as i can't see the shot holes. You might try 80 grs or 2f and 1 1/8 oz of shot with the 4 thin OS cards over the powder, then the shot, then 1 thin overshot card on top. See if it is any better for you. Fun aren't they? :grin:

Yes they are. :) :) :) :rotf:
New pictures I hope. I'm trying somthing different.

that didn't do anything so deleted them.

One of my favorite load strings for the New Englander is 75 gr. 2F, .125 nitro card, 1 oz. 7 ½’s topped off with a .030 OS card. This is my dove, quail and sporting clays load.

Is your gun the straight barrel or does it have the interchangeable screw-in choke tubes?

WildShot said:
One of my favorite load strings for the New Englander is 75 gr. 2F, .125 nitro card, 1 oz. 7 ½’s topped off with a .030 OS card. This is my dove, quail and sporting clays load.

Is your gun the straight barrel or does it have the interchangeable screw-in choke tubes?

Hey wild shot, that is also what I use with the 7 1/2. Do you have a load for 5 shot? I have the straight barrel. Thanks

It has three interchageable chokes. I have tried only the clinder bore so far.

Rebel said:
Is it actually a Cylinder bore choke tube or is it an Improved Cylinder? Mine had Imp., Mod., and Full.

Rebel this one has the Imp. cylinder,mod,and full. From reading here on the forum might not use the mod and full chokes much.

One of the biggest (IMHO) improvements that you can make to this gun is to switch the choke tubes out for standard WinChoke tubes. The ones that extend out from the muzzle about 1/8” and use the spanner style wrench. The advantage is that there are no notches in the rim of the choke to tear your thumb when you start the wads or gouge the ramrod as you push the wad home.

With my particular gun, the modified tube gives better pattern and performance using the 1 oz. load for dove.

john12865 said:
Hey wild shot, that is also what I use with the 7 1/2. Do you have a load for 5 shot? I have the straight barrel. Thanks

That would depend on the intended target. I use 100 gr 2f, 2 OY wonder wads, 1 3/8 oz #5’s topped with an 0.030 OS card through a full choke for Turkey. I would lighten up a bit for other game but when I do any adjustments to my loads I always pattern on paper before I use it on live targets.

A 3 to 4 loading works very well in the 12 guage and is moving out there fast enough to achieve clean kills. I am shooting the CVA Trapper with tubes. 90-120 is my turkey load. 60-80 works for smaller game like squirrels. At 25 yards, the 60-80 load will covwer a 9 inch paper plate with most of the shot on the plate using the modified tube, 6's, and Pyrodex RS. I don't know what anyone would use a pattern tighter than that on. It isn't quite that good with 3f black and the recoil feels almost double. I never tried 2f black in it because I already had 2f Pyrodex I needed to use up. It works great in the shotgun. In my gun, lubed wads are a waste of time until you reach the very small shot sizes. In the sizes normally associated with skeet, trap, sporting clays, and small birds, it has a more consistant pattern using half a lubed wad. A good friend sold me some of the old thick nitro cards for reloading paper shells. I have used nothing else in it as an over powder wad yet. They require you to use a short starter to get them thru the choke, but they are very consistant on target. I still don't have a good steel load worked up for doves! I bought fives so I would get better down range energy, but I can't get the pattern I need using the plastic cups to protect the barrel. It is getting time to be patterning again on that project! Have fun! If I could shoot a ball out of this gun, I doubt I would ever pick up the others except for targets.

Back