• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot 70 grains of 2fg under 80 grains or 1 1/8 Oz of # 6 shot. I've always used crumpled newspaper for wadding. Shot is inside a cup made from market bag paper. I always manage 5 to 7 hits on the head and neck region of my targets at 25 yards. This load will imbed shot into plywood at least 1/8 inch at that yardage. A turkeys skull isn't that thick.

Can you check and see if there is a los.dir when you look at what is in the camera's memory or on the memory card. I had a formating issue with a trail cam and even though the cam seemed to be working, the pictures and videos weren't in the DCIM file where they usually are. There was a file labeled los.dir full of files I couldn't open. I changed the name of one of the smaller files, just adding .jpg to the end, and it became a usable picture file. I then chose a much larger file and changed it to the same file name but adding .avi to the end and it became a usable video file.
My computer wouldn’t even open it. It was weird. I actually borrowed the GoPro, so I’ll see if the friend I borrowed from can pull it up on his computer

Impressive. Thanks for your efforts in posting the results. This 58 is a legitimate turkey gun. Makes me wonder what it would do with #6 shot. You’ve cost me a lot of money with this post; looks like I’ll be ordering another Kibler.

Can I ask who did your jug choke? And the approximate cost?

Thanks
Leland Davis out of Wells, KS. I think it was around $75, maybe a little less

I really need to work up a load in my 58 smoothbore Kibler and try my hand at turkey...never done it and I think I am missing out!

So is your smooth rifle a smoothbore?
A smoothrifle is a gun with a smoothbore barrel, but everything else is like a rifle. If you were to look at one next to a fowling piece you would think it is a rifle,,,,, until you looked at the muzzle and down the bore amd saw it has no rifling. That smoothrifle has a rifle style trigger guard, front and rear sights, a cheek piece like a rifle, maybe a patchbox, a stock design like a rifle,,,,, everything outward appearing would make you think it's a rifle gun.

Yes they have historical verification. We have period advertising, and quite a bit of it, offering guns for sale to include listing of, "smooth rifle gun."

What's the difference between a smooth bore and a smooth rifle? I seen someone mention something like that?
In the simplest of terms, a smooth rifle is a firearm of rifle architecture (often set triggers, rear sight, maybe full octagon barrel, thin butt stock and less drop at heel) with a smooth bored barrel. When you look at a smooth rifle, it will look like a rifle and not look like a fowling gun.

I took advantage of the sale Kibler is running ($100 off for the Colonial with no patchbox) and ordered a smoothbore 58 last night. I hope to duplicate your results in the spring of ’24. Thanks for the encouragement.

I took advantage of the sale Kibler is running ($100 off for the Colonial with no patchbox) and ordered a smoothbore 58 last night. I hope to duplicate your results in the spring of ’24. Thanks for the encouragement.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

So is my Alex Henry half-stock percussion a smooth-rifle or a smooth-bore? :) Most have to look down the barrel to realize it is a shot-gun and it takes a 62 caliber ball quite well.

How many repetitions did you do of each test? It would be interesting to see if its consistent.

Are something like 2's or 4's good for a big bird like turkey?
6s are usually the standard with lead shot. Pattern density and a good head shot is what is needed for turkey

That would make a great buckshot gun for dog hunting with beagles
It absolutely would. I had a thought just the other day about getting it out over my Brittany. Prairie Chickens open up in a month and bobwhites in November. It’s a little heavy for swinging, but my dog loves to work 😃

It worked again! This time at 32 yards

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2786.jpeg