• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Load for .50 Caliber Smooth Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m planning on getting some shots in with my new smooth rifle this weekend. I’d like to work up a squirrel hunting load for next month. What would be a good place to start with a .50 caliber smooth rifle?

I’m planning on getting some shots in with my new smooth rifle this weekend. I’d like to work up a squirrel hunting load for next month. What would be a good place to start with a .50 caliber smooth rifle?
I don't need to tell you this...but while working up that load....be sure to shoot some paper! And you might try 1FG powder along with 2FG if you have any or can get your hands on some. Just food for thought and consideration, this is how I load my 12 gauge S x S vintage muzzle loader....powder down....tightly packed ball of wasp next over the powder.....followed by two cads cut from waxed milk cartons....followed by more shot than powder...and one card over the shot. Heavy nitro over powder cards can fly through and disrupt your shot pattern....the wasp next seals the bore and will break apart and cause no problems...neither do the light cards. A fiber wad is not needed since back set pressure is vented through the nipples or vent in a flintlock. Google VM Starr for some down to earth real expertise on loading muzzle loading shotguns. Also, look up the Sky Chief loading recipe which is out of the box but works in most guns. Good hunting, stay safe, and keep your powder dry.

Back