• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot in a T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifled barrels give a bad doughnut pattern. It really scatters the shot. The problem is caused by the shot load being spun by the rifling. This spinning causes it to produce a terrible scattering of the shot. If you want to use shot, you will need to use a smoothbore.

You can hunt squirrels with .50 and many people do. I always thought if it as overkill but those who hunt with one use a target load and try for head shots. Since there is so little meat on the rib area, a shot through the ribs doesn't mess up much meat. As long as you miss the forequarters and the hind quarters, you will have saved all the meat that is worth saving. Keep your shot low in the midsection if you shoot for the body because there is that good bit along the back that you want to save.

Bottom line, shot in a rifled barrel just doesn't work worth a darn.

Billnpatti said:
You can hunt squirrels with .50 and many people do.....
....but check your local hunting regulations first. In Pennsylvania rifles in .40 caliber are the largest allowable for small game.

Sucks, but true. :cursing: Enjoy, J.D.

just make sure U use bees wax and lead shot only as steel shot will mess up your lands and groves.
U will have no accuracy as your shot will be spun out to the ozone as your lands and groves will spin the shot in all directions up, down, and to both sides. None of the shot will reach your target

jdkerstetter said:
Billnpatti said:
You can hunt squirrels with .50 and many people do.....
....but check your local hunting regulations first. In Pennsylvania rifles in .40 caliber are the largest allowable for small game.

Sucks, but true. :cursing: Enjoy, J.D.

Interesting. Not to go OT, but, in PA can you hunt medium game like deer with a .40? Or was part of the design of the rules to hamper people and/or sell more "stuff"!?

Here is the only account of actual testing I've found. I was surprised by the results compared to my own. Then late in the article he points out what may be the difference. His rifle had a slow twist AND shallow rifling.

Still gotta confront questions of leading and certainly use of nontox if required in your region. But there's certainly food for thought. And I'm thinking.

Back