• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shortages of round balls and caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regularly travel across 4 states going back and forth to work. I've found it depends on the state whether or not the scrap yards will sell it to you. Louisiana will not, Florida will, but the price per pound has doubled in the last few months. The last I bought had gone from $.80 per lb. to $1.60

bpd303 said:
I have a deal with....

Boy, that can be a useful tool. In my case I have over a ton of range waste, which has some alloy in it. But every once in a while I run across non-muzzleloading folks with pure lead. They may not shoot, but they are tickled silly with my offers to trade them pound for pound, their pure lead for my alloy-cast fishing weights. Smiling folks on both sides of the deal.

Never pass up free lead alloy. With a little "alchemy" you can convert it into pure lead. :grin:

Sounds like the Hunt brothers in 1979. How'd that cornering of the world silver market work out for them?

As for the cap shortage that is no big shock there. Most production is geared towards production of manufactured ammo. With 1 billion rounds per day being made most primers is being dumped into that market to keep the bulk of the trade going. Primer manufacturing is not a fast process nor can it be rushed, nor should it be rushed.

Those non-manufactured ammo arenas, i.e. reloading, muzzle loading, etc that use primers and derivative is taking a back burner. Some vendors have stated September or late summer and many even wonder if that is practical.

Amen! my brother... let's not support the scalpers living...

My daughter consistently tells me "Dad, patience is a virtue!"

:wink:

So does anyone know of a source for Remington #10 caps?

Cabella's removed them from their website - they were out of stock when they were listed about one week ago. I called and was told they were looking for a new distributor, so it might be a while.

Where I live you can put B/P needs in a small peanut nut butter jar and have room left over for a lot of offshore lures, just not here in East Texas.

next thing you know there will be a run on ,and shortage of arrow shafts.

or maybe marbles for sling shots??

I better make an spear quick before i can't find a broom handle.

They have cap on sale at Gander mountain 4.99 free shipping, of course they are out. BUT there is a extra shipping fee of 1200.00, seems a little steep.

BrownBear. I couldn't agree with you more....!

I refuse to cave in to those A**holes.

Maybe we're being overly naive but someone has to fight the fight!

I believe in capitalism, that being said, there is a fine line between what is reasonable and what is absurd. Scalpers just piss me off....frankly, they are no better than "patent trollers"...!

Back