• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting to 200 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the .32 cal round ball is going to be pretty frustrating for you when a windy condition shows up! A conical would be much better if you have twist enough to stabilize it.
I got out my Lyman ball velocity tables and they only go down to .36 cal but should give you an idea of what your looking at in a .32 cal.
A .350 ball with a muzzle velocity of 2200fps is down to 670 fps at 200 yards, drop of 64 inches and will wind deflect 27 inches in only a 5 mph cross wind. A .32 caL ball should be considerably worse.
Now THATS what I’m talking about. His barrel twist might not be ideal for conicals though, but dang if I wouldn’t try some

It is likely that I just don't understand the thrill of shooting at long distances, however I don't. With any traditional muzzle loading rifle, it is far too normal to make a bad shot. Especially with the adrenalin pumping. I have never shot at a game animal at more than 75 yards and I would not do that again. I believe it is way more of a thrill to get within 30 or 40 yards with a good stalk and make an instant [or nearly so] kill. My last deer kill was at about 15 yards as I recall. He dropped when hit. Now I have shot prairie dogs and marmots at longer distances, but with a scoped abortion. I also killed a coyote at about 100 yards with a 22 when I was nine. My dad and my uncle rolled on the ground laughing.. why ... just simply a stupid, very lucky shot. Disclaimer: go for it, this is just my choice and you have every right to yours. 😁 :rolleyes:

It is likely that I just don't understand the thrill of shooting at long distances, however I don't. With any traditional muzzle loading rifle, it is far too normal to make a bad shot. Especially with the adrenalin pumping. I have never shot at a game animal at more than 75 yards and I would not do that again. I believe it is way more of a thrill to get within 30 or 40 yards with a good stalk and make an instant [or nearly so] kill. My last deer kill was at about 15 yards as I recall. He dropped when hit. Now I have shot prairie dogs and marmots at longer distances, but with a scoped abortion. I also killed a coyote at about 100 yards with a 22 when I was nine. My dad and my uncle rolled on the ground laughing.. why ... just simply a stupid, very lucky shot. Disclaimer: go for it, this is just my choice and you have every right to yours. 😁 :rolleyes:
FYI - They are RIFLES, NOT - abortions. Thats seriously ridiculous.
I do however 100% agree with your last sentence/disclaimer.
Up close & personal is very exciting, but so is the skill & concentration it takes to make kill shots on moving game at long range too. Or long range bench rest shooting. I love both aspects of shooting & hunting.

I shoot my .54 1in 66 twist, using a 530 ball and 80 grains of powder at 200 yards. I have to hold over 8 feet to hit the target.Why is our results so different?

I dunno. First shot I held right at the top of the steel, which is a 12x24" plate with about a foot of airspace underneath it (so top is maybe 3' off ground), and I saw the ball skip off the ground at about 175 yard line. Next shot I raised it up about as much as the top was above ground and it impacted off to the right of the target by several feet but elevation was good.

I don't think my 1:48 twist vs your 1:66 would make a difference... and I dunno how much of a velocity boost 90gr of 3Fg powder vs your 80gr would be. Only explanation I can think of is that ball is still rising when it hit paper at 20 yards, which is the only distance I've shot it on paper (just got it last week). If it were sighted in at 100 yards then I could see that being enough elevation.

My only long range BP experience is the few shots I took the other day.... But I've shot tons of rim activated unmentionables as well as very slow center-activated unmentionables with hush-hush devices on 'em at 200 yards plenty of times. I'd never shoot at an animal at that distance with such an inappropriate tool when I have much better available - but with a rest at a known distance to 150 yards I can hit golf balls 9 times out of 10. That said, quite a few of us really enjoy the challenge of long range shooting - even high power/velocity unmentionables. Great thing about rim-activated stuff and BP is that you can get the same challenge shooting something fast at 500+ yards by shooting at 100-200 or even 300 yards (if you got a range for it). Finding *the* load, learning how your load deals with wind, how to read the wind, learning about judging distances (obviously 175y vs 200y vs 225y makes a difference with the PRBs we're tossing), etc.

Some folk like to shoot reactive targets/steel/silhouette, some like to shoot things like IDPA/USPSA, 3-gun matches, etc. Some like skeet or trap or sporting clays. Some like to only shoot WW1/2 milsurps. Some like to shoot BP. Some even like to shoot BP and dress up in funny clothes (not that there is anything wrong with that). I'll pass on costumes and such, but I just like to shoot - and I find a way to challenge myself and my skills no matter what I'm shooting.

I remember reading an article by a retired Army Officer,(Major John Plaster) who if I remember right was also involved with sniper training. He was interested on the shot Timothy Murphy made at the battle of Saratoga. Supposedly the site of the tree Murphy was in and the spot where the English officer fell are marked. The officer laser ranged it and proclaimed that it was 330 yards! Supposedly Murphy's rifle was a twist barrel rifle, and is in a private collection.

I have a “chunk gun” made back in 1950 or so and it shoots 80 gr at 50 and 100 yds and 100 gr at 40 rods (220 yds). I don’t worry about velocity at all and did all my load work up while using a Lead Sled.
John

I am shooting a 32 cal flintlock rifle with a 40 inch barrel. This is a heavy barrel rifle. Not yet a bench gun. I purchased this rifle from a friend who can no longer shoot. He was a very good marksman in his day. The load he gave me was 65 gr FFF goex powder 320 round ball and Pillow ticking patch. I will be shooting targets from 50 Yds to 200 Yds. from cross sticks. I am not to worried about distances to 100 Yds. I am currently shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds. Next week I will be working on the 100 yard targets. My question is how much velocity will I loose out to the 200 yd mark and how much drop can I expect. I thank you in advance for your comments and advice. Ike
You will drop to velocity to about 4-7 hundred fps.
No matter what your starting velocity is. Even a 5 mph wind, something you can barely feel will impact your shooting at this range

I do enjoy the challenge of long range shooting. Whether it be a ML rifle or an unmentionable. In my younger days I shot handgun metallic silhouette competition out to 200 meters in reclining Creedmoor position. While I have no intention of attempting a shot at game with a BP gun at long range it is fun to see if I can dope the wind and come close on target. In my range practice I have discovered the Timothy Murphy shot is doable and since I regularly practice long range with belt carry unmentionables, an adversary would be at great risk at 200. Just give me a solid rest.

What an ideal place to shoot a traditional muzzleloader…what kind of hide is that? At first I thought it was Elk, but the body color’s not right….looks too dark.

Bison maybe?
Thanks, I love it here in Montana.
The hide is an old Bison hide that I have used as a shooting mat for lots of years.
The rifle is a Kibler Colonial in 58cal. My load is 100gr of whatever powder is in the horn.

Thanks for posting the link to the roundball ballistics calc. Though I don't shoot any roundball its still good to learn about & to now be able to pass along to someone else that it will help. I love the JIm Varney quote. With my Appalachian roots, I resemble that remark.
You are welcome. I hoped folks could use the info.

I saw Mr. Varney say that in an interview. Being from the Missouri Ozarks I found it quite fitting!

I've never shot at any target over 100yds with my BP guns....but I want to! I live close enough to Friendship to use their silhouette range.

My question...when some folks say they have to aim 8ft over the target, how in the heck do you do that! Targets are small at 200yds. Aren't you just guessing how high to aim? Have a buddy watch for the impact and aim higher or lower, I understand. But how do you know where 8ft high is in relation to the sights?

You have to put some elevation into your fixed sights. Many years ago, I shot silhouettes with my 45 caliber rifle. I used a 0.445 ball with 0.015 linen patching propelled by 95 grtains of 3fg GOEX powder. I would put the bottom of the front sight at the bottom of the rear sight. The top of the front sight was about half of the front sight height above the top of the rear sight. The top of the front sight was placed on the ear of the bear on the side where the wind was blowing. On good days the ball would hit the bear on the lower leg is the wind was light. And, yes, I was able to knock over the bear with my 0.45 caliber rifle. The bears had to be set very near the topple point to fall on a solid hit.

I am shooting a 32 cal flintlock rifle with a 40 inch barrel. This is a heavy barrel rifle. Not yet a bench gun. I purchased this rifle from a friend who can no longer shoot. He was a very good marksman in his day. The load he gave me was 65 gr FFF goex powder 320 round ball and Pillow ticking patch. I will be shooting targets from 50 Yds to 200 Yds. from cross sticks. I am not to worried about distances to 100 Yds. I am currently shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds. Next week I will be working on the 100 yard targets. My question is how much velocity will I loose out to the 200 yd mark and how much drop can I expect. I thank you in advance for your comments and advice. Ike
I think if I were going to make a .32 cal rifle for anything but squirrel shooting I'd get a fast twist barrel for conical bullets. One can get a fast twist barrel to shoot patched balls reasonably well but the reverse is not true.

Back