• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting/Safety Glasses While Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEW222

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there. I know most general practices and procedures while shooting targets at home, on the field, and while at the range safety glasses are always the first thing I put on. But while new to flintlock shooting, the same rule applies of wearing my safety protection. While hunting with a flintlock, how many do use or wear safety protection? I am just still weary of all the close to face sparking going on. Would wearing prescription glasses or sunglasses constitute safety eyewear, seeing as it SHOULD only be one shot. Thank you.

I cant shoot w/o my glasses so never though about "safety" glasses. I believe one should wear em if not wear regular glasses, sparks, pieces of flint or caps, anything can get into the eye and on best case scratch an eye and make a miserable day or two or worst.... :shocked2:

Good post...it doesn't just happen to other people, and even if it does, that's you, YOUR the other people! :blah:

Same here -- without my glasses I can hit "minute of barn door" @ 30 yds with my shot gun :grin: . I use the same glasses as I use on the trap field (Post-4 with interchangeable color lenses). The targets & game just seem to jump out at you.

I wear safety glasses whenever I am hunting or shooting. Mine have lenses which curve to wrap around a bit for side protection. A pellet from another hunter's shotgun hit me in the face once, and I took this as a warning. I reckon that eyes are a wondrous gift and I don't want to chance losing them!

New222 said:
Would wearing prescription glasses or sunglasses constitute safety eyewear,
In my opinion, in a hunting situation, Yes.
I'm bias, I wear prescription glasses with tri-focal lenses, that just happen to be safety lenses.

My everyday glasses are also ANSI rated safety glasses that are ground to my prescription. The only thing I leave off are the side shields.

Whether they are clear, tinted, or sunglasses I can't think of a reason not to wear eye protection any time you are shooting -- even if it is only for one shot.

Thank you for your opinions and answers. I do usually wear my sunglasses while out hunting, so will keep the tradition alive and keep my eyes, although one hit to my glasses would be rather very expensive to the pocketbook (expensive taste for quality sunglasses), my eyes would still be there.

Last June I had cataract surgery in my right eye. I went back for a follow-up visit a week later and all was fine. That afternoon I went outside because my dog was going nuts barking at something. That 'something' turned out to be a sick raccoon that was tangled in grape vines. I pulled a .22 short mini revolver from my pocket, stepped on the sick coon, and shot him in the head. Instantly, something whacked me in my left eye. It turned out to be a piece of the .22 bullet and it required emergency surgery the next morning to remove the lead fragment from my eyeball.

Moral: ALWAYS WEAR GLASSES WHEN SHOOTING!!

I'm near sighted and wear glasses all the time, but I don't trust my Rx glasses for safety (plus they tend to slide off my nose and fall off when I'm sweating), so I bought a pair of polycarb Z87.1 rated shooting glasses off ebay that fit right over them. I think they were about $15 shipped. Cheap insurance for something as precious and irreplaceable as eyesight.

Thanks for a good thread. I also need prescription glasses. So I always have at least something between my eyes and incoming hazards. Too many normal glasses have too much opening above and below the lenses for stuff to get in, have had it happen, but something is better than nothing. My go to glasses for anything requiring eye protection are Rudy Project wrap around with prescription inserts and changeable outer safety lenses. I can change the outer lenses from clear (indoor shooting, night time motorcycle rides), polarized dark grey, polarized brown (my favorite, great for fishing and hazy or cloudy days), red (skeet, outdoor IDPA matches with a red fiber optic front sight), and they have others I don't use/need such as green for golfers.
The removable prescription insert makes cleaning a breeze and it's cheaper to get a new script when your eyes change than replacing a whole set of glasses.
Sorry to drift off like that. Bottom line, put something between your only set of eyes and incoming hazards.

I wear glasses full time because I need to. I wear period HC glasses because I like to. The glasses sit close to the face. I have noticed that after a year or so the lenses are pitted on the outside, possibly from sparks from my flintlocks, or could be other stuff that I mess with. Anyway, I highly encourage having something on your face between you and the lock.

I got mine through my usual optometrist, but James Townsend and Son has a nice pair of glasses. I have used those as well.

My everyday glasses are also made with poly carbonate safety lens so I always have safety lens on.

I to make sure that my prescription eye wear has impact resistant lenses and UV block. I had a right side take a real hit once when shooting a cap lock. I can assure you that the eye would have been badly damaged at best. To this day I don't know what it was. The nipple was fine as was the hammer.

It has only happened that once but then again we only have two eyes!

Geo. T/

I have always had to wear glasses being near sighted. One of my observations with the passing of the years has been of how most of todays styles of eyewear have changed. Eye glass frames holding the lenses seem to keep getting smaller and smaller. I have always liked the large over-sized aviator type frames. They cover the eyes and then some for at least some good frontal protection. It is kind of getting hard to find the large frame style that I like these days!

I wear prescription glasses so always have them on when doing any kind of shooting. Several years ago, while shooting a flintlock, a piece of flint somehow came back and hit the left lens of my glasses, making quite a gouge in the plastic. I shoot with both eyes open so it probably would have entered the eyeball if I had not been wearing my specs. I am all for authenticity and wish I did not have to wear glasses, but they can save you from serious injury so I recommend them for everyone.

Prescription glasses are usually Polycarbonate, CR-39 or Hi-Index. I have seen the Poly drop ball tested to meet safety glass ANSI specs. But unless they are in safety frames and actually rated to ANSI standards, they are not really safety glasses and safety glasses are fitted with side shields. My prescription glasses are poly and I feel reasonably safe that in every day use, I do have some protection. Shooting glasses or real safety glasses would be the best option. But I admit, I just wear my polycarbonate prescription glasses.

Before my eyes went bad I always wore my Bushnell shooting glasses whenever I shot any kind of muzzleloader or Cap & Ball pistol.

After my cataract surgery I needed to wear glasses to see things that were close to me so I bought and use the lowest power, el cheapo reading glasses I can get at the local drug store.

I choose the ones with the largest lens so they fully cover my eyes.

Yes, the frames are pretty dorky but if others don't like my glasses, they don't have to wear them. :grin:

I also only need readers so i get the safety glasses with the "cheaters" in them, they come shaded or clear from amazon or local safety supply,i use them on the job,shooting or just working around the house, cheap insurance i say.

Back