• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Right Hand Rifle Left Eye Dominate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mci5b

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been a topic before; but, I could not find it as a search.

How much problem am I going to have shooting a right handed flintlock left handed? I am not referring to the mechanics involved (as I am right handed with a left dominate eye). I am worried about the flash in front of my eye.

Thanks in advance.

This possibly might not be of help but I'm also right handed, left eye dominant because my parents wouldn't allow me to be left handed. Have been involved in the shooting sports for 70 yrs shooting right handed and participated in trap, skeet, target shooting, bird hunting and a lot of other hunting. Have learned to "dull" my left eye by slightly closing it but still shooting w/ both eyes open. Don't know when this took place but did become aware of it when in my early 20s. I still shoot a slingshot and bow left handed. If you wear eyeglasses, possibly a tint on the left lens would "dull" this eye and the right would then dominate. Can't answer your question because I've never done it and sorry for the off topic post....Fred

I know a couple of people who do very well shooting right handed flints from the left side. For left eyed right handers it is easy to just shut the left eye. I'm right handed and right eyed but I still squint my left eye when aiming just because that's how I learned to shoot 60+ years ago. I know that is supposedly wrong but it has always worked for me.

It can be (and is) done all the time. I'm lefty through and through and shoot right handed guns as needed. But it's certainly a lot easier with a lefty flinter. Ask yourself this: If shooting a flinter with the flash in front of your eye isn't such a big deal, howcum right-handed flinters don't buy and shoot left-handed flinters when they find a good deal on one? I don't know a single right handed shooter who shoots a lefty flinter right-handed. Food for thought.

One thing I find important is moving game in close cover. The lock in front of my right eye is not only a distraction, it blocks my view of coming obstructions as I swing the rifle. Even on standing game I just shoot a whole lot better with both eyes open and a clear view of the target with both eyes. Aint gonna happen with a right-handed flinter shot lefty.

Don"t know what the militarys policy is now but you were restricted to R.H. shooting regardless of what eye was strongest. Back then my left eye was the best and I still had no problem .. That is no longer the case , as the chemo and rad treatment has made a change in my vision now the right eye is best . You would think that would be a better deal , but it"s not :idunno: . I no longer can shoot without squinting the left eye . Just starting to get a system worked out . :thumbsup:

Being a true lefty in a right handed world I hate to admit that in the 40+ years I've been shootin' I've never even picked up a left handed gun let alone shoot one. All I can tell you is I get along fine shooting my right handed flinter and have even won a few matches. In my opinion if you notice the flash you're not concentrating on the target.

Now after saying all that I would love to have a left handed fowler but I just can't afford one at this time

Galen

Okie,

I assume since you did not post in the smoothbore section you will be shooting a rifle?
I know a lot of left handed shooters who shoot right handed guns left handed with no trouble.

Do you shoot with both eyes open?
Since you are right handed can you shoot right handed with just the right eye open?

Brown Bear, I have only saw one right handed shooter shooting a left handed flintlock. It is on the opening pre-show runner on American Rifleman TV episodes. Watch at the beginning, two flint shooters are fireing, the one neeling down is shooting right handed with a left handed flintlock going off. Watch it next time. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Okie said:
I am worried about the flash in front of my eye.
Absolutely nothing to worry about! I'm a lefty shootin' righty flintlocks, but then I wear prescription lenses so I always have eye protection on. Have ones in 18th century frames too :thumbsup: !

Regardless, all your attention all the way thru the shot should be on that front sight. "Best" stock designs for lefties shooting righties would be stocks with zero cast.

Flash? To tell the truth ... I've never seen it ..

gordy said:
Don"t know what the militarys policy is now but you were restricted to R.H. shooting regardless of what eye was strongest. Back then my left eye was the best and I still had no problem .. That is no longer the case , as the chemo and rad treatment has made a change in my vision now the right eye is best . You would think that would be a better deal , but it"s not :idunno: . I no longer can shoot without squinting the left eye . Just starting to get a system worked out . :thumbsup:

Been over 50 years since I enlisted in the army as a 17 year old kid. Went round and round with the range officer, but after he saw how bad I shot the M-1 RH as compared to how good LH, he relented and let me qualify LH.

The army will let you shoot with either hand. It was like that when I joined in 1990. Im right handed but left dominate. I can shoot with both hands equally well.A good skill to learn. Especially from shooting behind cover. But shooting right handed I just squint my left eye a little but don't close it.

Look in a mirror some time when you squint that eye. The reason it works when shooting, is that squinting involves closing the eye enough that your eyelashes enter the focus area of your pupil, and blur your vision.

The Eye Lashes are so close to the pupil that you can't SEE your eyelashes Thru that eye. Unless you do this looking in a mirror, so that your OPEN EYE can see what the "squinting" eye looks like, you can't know why squinting works. :hatsoff:

This must be an Okie thing. I have/had the same problem.

Not much anymore because I had cataracts on both eyes and had artificial lens installed and they're better than ever.

Always good to hear from another Okie. :hatsoff:

Still shoot a bow lefty, but I'm a righty. You might not think so if you had to read my writing.

Awesome!

Where did you get the frames?

I've had to settle for frames as close as I can get in John Lennon style. They're not quite like John's style and don't look like period frames either.

I would do this. Wear a patch on your left eye, or tape the left lens of your shooting glasses.

Then shoot right handed. This way you can keep both eyes open, and shoot from your comfortable side.

NO, but I did work the door back and forth to find the trip switch the door hits when it closes, when I was maybe 4 or 5 yrs. old! :grin: :thumbsup:

Putting a piece of scotch tape on your left lens when shooting works very well. I prefer to simply squint the eye, as I need to see through both lenses when I am not aiming the gun! :bow: :grin:

As a right handed, left eye domanant shooter, I prefer to use a left handed gun. This is just personal choice. I like the fit better, am able to use the comb, and the lock is further away from my face. Yes, I wear shooting glasses but have had pieces of flint hit me in the face.

Besides, a left handed rifle always attracts attention and questions. :wink:

Everyone should use what they like if it is available and simply have fun!!

Back