• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left hand threaded drum/bolster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was working on an Euroarms of America, Winchester ,Va, kentuckian pistol barrel in percussion. An NOS barrel that had an odd bolster /drum that I wanted to replace with a standard drum or touch hole liner. I tried removing it as usual, no rust involved and it snapped off. I just now drilled it for the easy out and the drill bound up a little and it unscrewed. I have never before ran into left hand threads on any type of gun part. Made in Italy. Why would they do that?! The breech plug was right hand as usual.

Winchester model 12 has a left hand treaded screw in the trigger group, for a good reason. I know of nothing else that requires this.

I had an Italian 45 caliber single shot target pistol . The “patent breech” was actually a drum. It had left hand threads so it would tighten with each hammer blow.

I had an Italian 45 caliber single shot target pistol . The “patent breech” was actually a drum. It had left hand threads so it would tighten with each hammer blow.
That makes sense, I can see how it would not loosen as the nipple was off center to the rear a tiny bit in the direction that blows would act to tighten it. An odd configuration, the part was zinc plated and at first glance would appear die-cast, the old ads for the pistol state it has a built-in flash guard, which it was.

Back