• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting bag organization

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you that have the shooting bags without dividers and pockets, how do you organize your supplies? I saw an old post where Stumpkiller posted a picture of a pouch he made for holding 6' strips of patching, and I've seen leather flask shaped pouches for holding balls. Do most people just dump their balls loose into the bottom of the bag? If so, do you keep your small accessories like worms and screws some where else? It would kinda slow the loading process if you reach into your bag for a ball and pull out a tow worm instead. :grin:

CWC:

I use a ball block for my patches and balls. And that goes in my bag. For my worm, jag, ball puller etc. I have a small plastic container, obviously non PC, to keep those small items in order. It works for me and keeps the small items from floating around and better organized. This set-up is for hunting. When I go to the range I have a shooting box with all items compartmentalized. ( not sure if that is a real word but you get my point ).

snagg

snagg

First you need to decide what's important to take on your hunt. It'll be entirely different from a day at the range. My pouch has 3 pockets, made entirely from light weight deer skin. One has speed loaders, yes I shoot traditional cap & ball but if I need a fast shot they'll help. One pocket has my deer tag and license and misc. stuff. The third pocket I carry scents and scent accessories. It works great. Light weight, doesn't get in the way.

that's why i'm just havin fun making stuff to hold my stuff in my bag and not all loose in the bottom of my bag....

ball bag....
445359.jpg

PRB block that was cut down to hold 4....
417147.jpg

flint wallet....
flintwallet1.jpg

short starter made from a piece of maple from my gun stock i cut off from the butt fer the plate and where it goes in my bag....
shortstarter001.jpg

possiblesbag012.jpg

possiblesbag013.jpg

how much stuff can ya make if ya owned one of those S.S. plastic stock things :hmm: ....i'll be ordering some horns soon then i'll have a thread showing my whole setup :v ...............bob

My bags have two pockets but I still use small pouches to separate items. My jag, worn, ball puller are in a small bag simliar to the one white buff showed, but it is 1" X about 2.5" made of very soft deer. I do use speed loaders for hunting, but that is the only time. My extra patches I keep in an old cap tin, perfect size. I just made a couple bag boards and am starting to use them. I keep about ten balls in another small bag.

I am still tinkering with different combinations, but small containers of some sort are definately helpful.

I used to have too much stuff in my bag to where I could not easily get things out, so....
I ask my self, "what is my mission today?" trail walk, huntingect.
OK, I'm doing a trailwalk, 18 shots.
Iload the bag with:
altoid tin with 40-50 patches, lubed
25 balls in the bottom of the bag
1 straight line capper in the small side pocket
1 tin of SPARE caps taped closed
1 altoid tin with my assorted rod ends and nipple wrench and nipple pick resting on top of some cleaning patches.
1 cva type 5 ounce powder dispenser.

my measuer and short starter are on the outside of the bag
I wear a horn and a capper hangs from my neck.

I do a similar bag for the pistol events and always have a spare capper in my shirt pocket.
Others usually have anything else I might need.
I leave the kitchen sink in the range box.
IF I were to be hunting, I would gear up accordingly for what would be realisticly needed for the outing. (10 shots)?

I keep a spare nipple and some clean patches in the patch box.

after shooting several walks and such, I find that there are things you just dont need, never use and have for that "just in case" situation. I have not needed to use them, dont carry them anylonger and came to realize that the truck or clubhouse isnt that far away if needed and others dont have what I need.

Why carry what you will not need?
Ialso have pockets on the coat and shirt, can carry a haversack, and typically also have a small neck bag for trinkets and odds/ends.

works for me.

Brett

I use ball bag and loading block. Metal cap tins and make small containers out of Elder berry stems and pouplar plugs. They will keep caps and powder dry no matter what. Dilly

Organize my bag? What is this organization you speak of? :rotf:

I keep my balls in bags, sorted by size. My flints are in a wallet and my caps in their tins. Patches are sorted by size in small wooden boxes. Then the entire lot is dumped into the bag for me to rummage through every time I need to reload! :haha:

My trade gun shot pouch qualifies here. It's a single compartment bag.
  • large bag containing .600" ball
  • long roll-up bag I call my tool wallet which contains a few flints, tow worms, ball screw, and screwdriver
  • a bag of tow
  • a bag of 20 ga. wads
  • and the loose stuff in the bottom like a powder/shot dipper, a tin of greased patching and a short starter

Yeah, it looks organized in theory, but my bag ends up a lot like Plink's :haha:

Cruzatte

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/jasontn/100_1061.jpg heres mine i carry for my .32 crockett small bag axe skinning knife both of which attach to the back of the bag ted cash capper holds nearly a tin of caps loading block with 6 shots ready fringed bag holds 45 extra balls the other bag holds an old cap tin filled with lube and enuff patches to go with the ammount of balls with a few extras thrown in my horn i fill with enuff powder plus maybe 10 extra shots worth to accommodate the ammount of balls i carry also in the bag with the tin is an extra nipple and wrench plus a screw driver,these are modern tools didnt wanna show em took some cues from mark bakers section on trekking for my set up trying to keep everything equalled out so i dont have too much of one thing so i can use the saved wieght to add extras like the little axe and knife when i first started i carried nearly my whole gun case in a pouch but ive pared it down some from experience and reading here on the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Imade my bag for organization(in theory,but it works for me) my bag has 3 pockets, 2 thin, 1 thick in center, thin one by my side tool wallet with ball puller,patch puller, jag, brush and a few cleaning patches. outside thin[ocket has a folding knife and markers for target marking at a shoot, center pocket has a tin of caps, tin of patches, and ball flask. horn is attached to the bag strap, and the strap has bullet board attached, short starter loop, and capper pocket. also a poocket down low on the strap for 3 brass "speed loaders" with a premeasured powder charge. when at a shoot I have a bullet board that holds 30 PRB, but that just lays on our shooting table.

Your suspossed to organize them? No wonder I can't find anything very fast in my bags

I carry loose balls and pre-lubed patches in the bottom, flints, worms and such are carried in a small leather "wallet", extra lube in a small tin and extra balls and patching in the haversack, I also have a small 4X7 bag that I put in enough for a day hunt and carry my horn and the bag high under my arm this is only used for close to the road hunts and mearly offeres an xtra shot or prime if needed.

my balls are always on the bottom,,,,I always put them on the top,but are always going to the bottom,,,GO FIGGER???? :shake: :blah: :shake:

Back