• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting bag lining

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backgear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the practical purpose and or advantage for lining a leather bag with ticking or such? Was this the norm in the 18th century?

It tends to help stiffen and give the thinner leathers more strength. It's not something I'd really want to do on a thick leather bag but if one wanted to they could.

I always figured it was cause there's "salt's and "dies" in some leathers and hides.
A lining would be "smooth" too,,thus covering the inside stitching of the bag an makin it easier to find stuff whilst diggin around on a bottom full of loose items.

* Looks better? Just a nice finishing touch to the bag?

Keeps the leather crumbles out of pre-patched & lubed balls in a ball-block kept inside. Also, a lighter lining makes it easier to see what is in the bottom of the bag.

Also, if you get desperate, you always have some patch material.

An inner lining gives you something to sew pockets to so that the stitching won't show on the outside of the bag.

I can't think of any 18th century examples of a lined American pouch.

Even the early 18th century purse type bags I have seen for the well-to-do types across the pond were not lined.

Back