• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting bag care & treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad everyone likes the pics, thanks to labonte. The horn does have a stop. It is a round wood peg with a small thumb screw like end. One piece about an inch long.

Thanks for the comeback, gbs.

Take real good care of that rig. You've got pure treasure on your hands, and I'm not exaggerating 1%.

Thanks for putting the pics on for me. The dimensions are as follows: the width is 8 inches, and the height is 7 inches, the flap is 3 inches. When I was measuring it I lifted the flap and the design under the flap on the bag mirrors the design on the flap,only nicer. That part wasn't in any of the pics.

What a treasure! a few questions is there any chance of a side view? as you said it's a double pouch I would like to see how deep each side of the pouch is,it looks like the flap is stitched on rather than being part of the back panel is that correct? also on the first picture the short strap just above the bag that has a ring on each end, the rings look like brass are they? and what is that straps purpose? one last question is the horn attatched to the bag strap or are they seperate. thanks for showing us this great bag it's truly one of a kind. Duane

SUPER!
This bag needs to be inspected by a number of pouch guys if at all possible.
I see many similar traits to other 18th century pouches with provenance.

LOOK....... RINGS!!!!!

gbs,

Can you share any history at all with this set?
The more that can be added to the provenance, the more it authenticates it and values it.

A picture of the pouch entrance and the side view would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for sharing!

It will be interesting if the date is correct, it may suggest that the rings would have been more common on a "nicer" bag

Holy Cow!

I will most definitely agree with LaBonte to seek professional advice.

PLEASE do NOT put any oil on it! It has lasted this long, it will be fine. Any damage there is to the leather is already done. Can't reverse it, and you can only make it worse.

I'll try to send side view pics. The flap you see in the pics is a part of the back panel. The stitching you see on the front of the flap is holding on the inside of the flap, which is a seperate piece. All the rings are brass.I don't know what all the straps are for or how they should be connected. The horn is attatched at one end yet. Probably should be at both ends, but the rawhide string at the big end is broken. The big buckle on the wide strap is also brass. The two small buckles on the two narrow straps are steel.Also not visible on the pics is a knife sheath on the wide strap. Hope this helps.

The only history I can share is that it belonged to my grandfather who was an antique dealer and probably bought it at an estate sale. Thats all I can tell you about the history. Side view pics ASAP. I don't know if you read in the other posts, other than the date it has the initials CWL & Saratoga NY.

GBS......Please don't put Neats Foot oil on this pouch as it will cause it to rot. What to put on an old pouch to preserve it has been the point of argument for some time now. I know for a fact, first hand that neatsfoot oil is not the answer. I would seek professional help such as a curator of some museum. This pouch is a precious treasure and it deserves the best care that you can give it......Frank

Gary sent me several more photos, but I need to resize them for the forum and right now I'm just aking a break from the shop so it will be some time later or tomorrow.

1-garys-pouch-horn-6.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-7.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-8.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-9.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-10.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-11.jpg

Thanks for the second set of pictures it's a very impresive bag, interesting construction welted but sewen right side out not turned inside out after stitching still havent figured out the strap arangement and as far as the stamping - tooling i've never seen another like that or anyware near that extensively decorated Thanks again. Duane

Is anyone aware of similar tooling work on leather items of a pre 1800 time period,this looks to me as a possible indicatore of age?
Does the buckle appear to be hand made or stamped?

Just wanted to thank everyone for all their comments and very informative opinions about my shooting bag. Special thanks to Chuck for posting all the pics. I just wanted to share this piece of history with everyone who would appreciate it. In a few of the posts it was said to seek professional help or advice. That leads me to the question of who or where. I want to know for a fact the authenticity of this bag and have it documented. There has to be someone out there who is a leading authority on this subject. Just a thought; the date on the bag and reference to Saratoga does not coincide with the battle of Saratoga as the date on the bag is June and the battle was not until Sept. or Oct. Keep the faith. Gary

I know this thread is ancient, and I too get bugged with the resurrection of old threads sometimes. However, I recently came across some of the photos posted here previously (that photobucket won't let us see here anymore) and the bag and its story has elements of some other things I've been looking for.
Unfortunately one if the key players here has passed on. I'm not sure what ever became of the o.p.
Did anyone download and save all the pics? Does anyone have any info on if this bag got researched further and how that turned out?

Latest posts

Back