• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting bag care & treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasgbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a very old shooting bag and horn. The leather is extremely dry. I was wondering how or with what to treat the leather? Should it be exposed to the air or kept in a sealed box? Thanks Gary

Give it a good coating ( soaking?) of Neatsfoot Oil. You can usually find it for sale at she repair shops. Ask the shoe repairman if he knows any tricks to restoring the leather any better. If no local shoe repair shop, find a harness shop that services the horse owners in your area( look up stables in the yellow pages, and call one to get a referral to a local harness shop.)

Obviously, take the bag with you to the shop when you go to buy the oil. Its also available by mail order from sites like Tandy Leather, and Leathercraft, as well as others. :thumbsup:

Wick Ellerbe said:
Get the pure neatsfoots oil. NOT the compound.

You beat me to it, Wick!

Apply the neetsfoot oil and then go over it with a hair drier so that it will soak in. Repeat three times. You can also use mink oil.

If we're talking heirloom stuff and preserving it for future generations, I think the rules change. Just the simple act of manipulating it to get the neatsfoot oil on it might add to the cracking.

I'd sure get hold of the nearest museum and talk to the curator personally. There are pretty standard techniques and products for preservation that probably have little to do with how you'd treat a bag you were just restoring for use.

What Brown Bear said.....FWIW I am a professional leather craftsman and have studied the subject for almost 50 years and the following is my advice based on those years of experience both building leather and repairing it.
I'm always hesitant to approach this subject since leather restoration of old and especially damaged leather is a complicated issue and when it comes to doing it right I defer to the experts - museum conservators. This is especially so when leather is an heirloom piece as this piece may be.
So in a case like yours, my first suggestion is to contact a professional leather conservator (I worked with one for a while and their methods can be very different than the common ones used by leather crafters -shoe repairmen and harness shops generally do not have the experience or methods to conserve leather - the methods used by conservators are based on tests done to the leather), but if that isn't possible or not your choice, than please read this very good article written by a conservator: http://www.garciaaviation.com/conserve.html

With all due respect to the others who have answered, there is old dried out leather and then there is old DAMAGED leather and of the latter I've seen far too many pieces that have been ruined by folks (even experienced leather crafters who are generally not trained in conservation/repair techniques) using the wrong "tool" for the job.
For instance washing with saddle soap and/or adding a conditioner, which might work well on new leather or older dried out leather, can in fact cause damage i.e. old oil will acidify over time and adding more can exacerbate the problem and causes irreversible damage. Often times in old damged leather the cell walls have broken down and the integrity of the leather is lost - adding a conditioner in this case will often just increase the damage - I've seen it happen, what was once a prized possesion becomes a soggy, shapeless mess - no matter what the condition the leather is one should NEVER soak it in oil, that leads to destruction. In a case like that the piece needs to be stabilized rather than conditioned (or a combo of both with the conditoning if need be coming after the stabilization) and then stored properly (keep it out of the sun for one)

Personally - without examining the piece first hand I won't offer any suggestions other than those I've listed above...and FWIW even then I would still recommend a professional conservator.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm gonna defer to the other posts for how to oil/treat the bag, but i would strongly recommend that you not seal it up in a box, unless you have museum quality equipment. boxing it up could make it rot away even faster. i'd treat it like any other antique. keep it in a nice climate controlled environment.

Thank you for your very informational input. I am inclined to agree with you. This particular bag is 233 years old. Yes it is dated. It is a double bag. Dated June 17 1777 Saratoga NY. This is why I am worried what to do to preserve the bag. Thanks again, Gary

Since there are VERY few reliably dated 18th Century shooting bags you have a REAL treasure.
I would suggest contacting the NRA Firearms Museum and/or the the folks at Williamsburg and see what help they can offer.

Hello GBS - What a find! I will second/third LaBonte. You need to seek professional help. Perhaps closer to you is the University of Delaware which has a very strong art conservation program. Art conservation in this case not just meaning fine art. The Army Heritage & Education Center in Carlisle does not do much conservation but should be able (as any of the really good museums/historical centers) to refer you to one or more experts in the field.

gbs said:
Thank you for your very informational input. I am inclined to agree with you. This particular bag is 233 years old. Yes it is dated. It is a double bag. Dated June 17 1777 Saratoga NY. This is why I am worried what to do to preserve the bag. Thanks again, Gary

I should have asked if it was an original antique before I opened my big mouth! We want pictures!

Yes I tried to send picture last night but I am not sure they went through. I'll keep trying.

Yes it is original. It has been in my family for about 75 years. I will try to send pictures.

gbs - if you need help posting the pics email them to me if you like and I'll post them for you...email address is in my profile - just click on my name Labonte, then go to the full profile...

Here are pics of Gary's bag - I did the best that I could with the date, etc. I changed to to B&W to get the best detail.
This is one nice outfit and IMO deserves to be examined by those expert in the field....
1-garys-pouch-horn-1.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-2.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-3.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-4.jpg

1-garys-pouch-horn-5.jpg

Wow is right! Looks like I might have to rethink my aversion to starting tooling. That's really tasteful.

Am I "reading" the photo right, in that it's not sewn and reversed, rather the bag is built "right side out" with the gusset installed outside and the seams showing? I like it that very much.

In the first photo it looks almost as though the horn stopper is a leather cap, but not so in the second. Correct? How is it stoppered?

And yeah, get some experts to work on this one!

BrownBear said:
Am I "reading" the photo right, in that it's not sewn and reversed, rather the bag is built "right side out" with the gusset installed outside and the seams showing?
It does appear to be done that way

In the first photo it looks almost as though the horn stopper is a leather cap, but not so in the second. Correct? How is it stoppered?
It doesn't appear to have a stopper. In the first pic IMO that's a knot in the whang holding the horn to the strap.

Back