• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting and cataracts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
use progressive lenses

I have never met anyone with progressive lenses who liked them. Most, maybe all, changed back to conventional bi-focals.
In my lifetime I have had two optometrists and two ophthamologists. All reccomended to not getting progressive lenses.

What about the two brain surgeons that recommended the full frontal lobotomy?

I have never met anyone with progressive lenses who liked them. Most, maybe all, changed back to conventional bi-focals.
In my lifetime I have had two optometrists and two ophthamologists. All reccomended to not getting progressive lenses.

They sure pushed em on me. I took em back after about 4 days. Were I to (or shall I say when I do :rotf: ) hit the lotto I will have a pair custom made to shoot with! and get prescription scopes made too!

Last year I had the vitreous removed because of floaters that kept getting worse, ten years after catarac surgery.Recovery from the catarac surgery iirc, was around 10 to 14 days.Recovery from the vitrectomy--I drove to work two days later. Having the vitreous replaced with saline is a piece of cake.

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement.
My eye issues are the result of high dose chemotherapy so there are some other concerns.
A pathologist friend of mine had a very good result from his vitrectomy as well.
Irish

That's because people are always concerned about what frames looks good, and I'll bet not one of those people ask the right questions about the progressive. I worked with a lot of older people at Johnson & Johnson, who wore regular flat top bifocals, and everyone switched to progressive, once they had the opportunity to see thru a pair of high quality lenses. I had my bifocal set a little bit lower. I'm setting 3 feet from my computer screen, with my head level and can see fine. I moved back 8 feet away and with head level, I can read the screen perfectly. I'm 1 foot away from screen and can still see it perfect. I can not do that with my old flat top lenses. I was on the R&D team at Johnson & Johnson when they developed the process for making these lenses, and I know from experience, that most people are wearing junk, that they call progressive.

My last software project was with a fellow who had progressive lenses. I noticed that if we were working together and looking for a specific line of code that I would consistently find it before him. It turns out that he had to move his head back and forth to read both ends of a line, while my bi-focals allowed me to just flick my eyes.

I had progressives for about two-weeks and absolutely hated them. Nothing was in focus at any time except for a very limited area.

I think that progressives would be better if they were linear vertically rather than being a radial design -- like bifocals without the lines.

A lot depends on the Ophthalmologist, or some Optometrist, that either don't know what they're doing, or just hand you a prescription, that you have filled at some elcheapo big box store. All they're interested in is blowing smoke, and selling frames. A good lens is going to cost $200 or more, not counting the frames. Cheap glasses have two pieces of plastic bonded together to meet the basic requirements, so all or most people can have glasses, and that's fine. But, if you can afford the best, they are cut on a lathe with a diamond tool, with a computer control and a million combinations to cut a perfect cyclinder and sphere, which results in a wider channel and way more peripheral view and less distortion. Not just meeting ANSI, but exceeding. Coating on quality glasses, will exceed most cheap glasses by 5 times, in laboratory scratch tests. And will have anti-reflective coating on both sides of the lenses.

To compare it, would be like telling someone you can build a custom rifle with a pocket knife.

Good for you. I had them and got rid of them immediately. I did not want to have to move my head in order to see something outside my direct line of sight. Unlike Bear Rider, I got rid of mine in a matter of hours, not weeks.

As far as cataracts, I have one in my left eye which is giving me fits. But, I am right-handed and have a dominant right eye so, so far at least, it has not affected my shooting. I would love to get it removed from my left eye but the doc says I have a ways to go. My mother had them removed when in her late 80s but she was virtually blind by then and I will not wait that long. Too much to do and see to let that happen.

Hadden, thanks for the insight into lenses. I have been wearing progressive lenses ever since they became available 20 or more years ago. I thought that my optometrist must be stabbing me because my glasses were costing $600 with the new frames. I was wondering how these other places were managing to sell glasses so cheap. Cheap glasses are no bargain if they don't work.

I like the way my progressives work because if I move my head around a bit I eventually will find a sweet spot where I can see the sights and or the target and sometimes both.

People can believe what they want. I made glasses for 4 1/2 years. The average person has no idea what makes one pair of glasses cost $69. and another pair $600.
My son-in-law is a competition shooter, and I shoot as good, because I wear high quality, progressive lenses. Your eyes will learn to find the sweet spot, and allow you to see near and far, which is way more difficult with flat top lenses.

I have had both kinds of glasses and way prefer progessive. When I have to use my old bifocals I hate it. Especially for hunting.

It's really pretty simple with those types of bi-focal lenses;
You are either an "adapt" or "non-adapt".
I was a non-adapt, I just didn't like having to move my head around so much looking for the focal point. I like my correction across the entire lens so I can maintain my peripheral vision.
It was really the loss of that peripheral that turned me off.
You can't sit in a Deer stand and crank your head back-n-forth 180 constantly like an oscillating fan.

I understand, but the point is higher end glasses have wider channels. One pair doesn't cost $69 and another $600, unless you can justify a reason. Frames can be one reason, but cut lenses are far superior to moulded lenses. Scratch resistance, AR coatings on both sides, and plastic materials, make up the other features. People wearing coke bottle lenses, can be replaced with thinner lenses, using this technology. But I agree, with adapt and non-adapt. Some manufacturers, might offer you the opportunity to try them, and put you back in old style, if you can not adapt. Worth asking about.

I don't work for any of these people, I'm telling you what I learned, while working there, and from my experience. I can not shoot well with flat top bifocal. Distance should be similar with either. As, a matter of fact, I "can" wear either.

One pair doesn't cost $69 and another $600, unless you can justify a reason.

Well documented is the fact one factory in Italy makes about 99.999% of all frames. Price difference is mostly due to style and marketing.
As for types of lenses, I was relating what I had been told. I'm happy with regular bi-focals.

I go for the largest lens available. I have a friend who has those little bitty narrow glasses and they are bifocals, but there is not really enough room on the lens to place both prescriptions. I may look like a baby robin, but I like my progressive glasses.

Latest posts

Back