Shooting all by one’s lonesome

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading, and enjoying it very much! And like the newbie I am, I walked into an indoor range with my smoke pole. Big mistake! They looked at me like I was nuts, and promptly showed me the door. I located one of only two outdoor ranges, and taught myself how to charge and discharge my weapon. I was the only guy with a muzzleloader. I have been back several times, everybody was and is very cool, but I appear to be the only guy sporting a front stuffer. The club had one morning a month set aside for a bragging rights only muzzleloading match. But not anymore. It would be more fun to shoot with other black powder guys, but I take what I can get.

Question: short of a rendezvous, do most of you guys shoot alone?
Shadowalker

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading, and enjoying it very much! And like the newbie I am, I walked into an indoor range with my smoke pole. Big mistake! They looked at me like I was nuts, and promptly showed me the door. I located one of only two outdoor ranges, and taught myself how to charge and discharge my weapon. I was the only guy with a muzzleloader. I have been back several times, everybody was and is very cool, but I appear to be the only guy sporting a front stuffer. The club had one morning a month set aside for a bragging rights only muzzleloading match. But not anymore. It would be more fun to shoot with other black powder guys, but I take what I can get.

Shadowalker
What location are you? Just give a city or town. Maybe someone on the forum can help you find other front stuffers. I have been shooting since the early 70s in Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri. 90% are muzzleloading club ranges. I do go out occasionally by myself, but for me it is more enjoyable to be with someone who has the same interest.
Larry

Reaction score

Shadowalker
Good for you and good luck with your new interest. Yes, we can't use Black Powder in an indoor range! I like to shoot by my lonesome, and as I've stated before on this site, I break out in hives at the mention of "match" or "competition"! I just like using all types of firearms. Shooting with others also may depend on one having shooting buddy friends, etc.

Reaction score
I enjoy shooting alone or in groups. I enjoy the company of get togethers but also like to just shoot alone. I belong to two clubs, one a large one with a huge facility that is mostly modern stuff shooters. The other is a ML club with a very nice range setup for ml only. Both facilities are suitable to ml shooting so i might use either one at any given time.

That said, im not at all into re enacting. It seems like fun and I know many fellow shooters who like that scene. Just not for me although I love studying the history aspect.

I agree, find a local ml club and check them out. The local clubs are not usually highly visible so you have to ferret them out. If there is a dedicated traditional ml shop anywhere near you, they will be familiar with the local activities.

Reaction score

mmb617

40 Cal
Reaction score
I like to shoot by my lonesome, and as I've stated before on this site, I break out in hives at the mention of "match" or "competition"! I just like using all types of firearms.
You sound a lot like me. I actually prefer to shoot alone, and since I normally go to the club during weekdays I'm often the only one there.

Our club has a pretty large black powder contingent and they hold shoots once or twice a month on Saturdays. Those shoots often attract 20+ entries and I've gone to watch a couple of them. The guy who runs them is always trying to get me to participate but I just don't have any desire to do that.

I like to go, spread out my stuff and take my good old time shooting. I can spend a couple hours on 30 shots or so if the weather is nice. Maybe I'm just anti-social?

Rebel jim

.36 Cal
Reaction score
Even though I live 30 minutes from a muzzleloader only seller, who is also a vendor for most of the friendship matches.
I still cannot locate anyone myself, but that's okay I have 5 acres and am surrounded by nothing but woods and fields.
So I shoot alone, and enjoy that because it helps me work on my technique and skills without all the pressure of prying eyes.

Latest posts