• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a RH rifle LH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notremor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am right handed but left eye dominant (the corrected vision in my right eye is very poor) and I have always shot a gun and a bow left handed. Frustrated by the lack of low priced LH rifles, I was thinking of buying a RH rifle and shooting it LH. I know I can have a custom LH gun made, but it is double the price of some production guns. Anyone have experience shooting a right handed gun left handed.

TLD,
I shoot equally well (or equally poorly) either right or left. I've shot my RH flinter left handed once in a while and the only difference is that the cheek piece is on the wrong side. As far as the flash being in front of my nose, I never notice. I shoot a double flint shotgun as do alot of others and there's no way getting around the flash in front of the face. I guess I could shoot the right barrel right handed then switch left for the left barrel
grin.gif
In my experience there's no difference.

Cody

TLD,

What type of weapon are you looking for? You can buy a percussion Lyman GPR in LH for $311 from Mid-South.

My youngest son has a Tenn. Mountian Rifle in 38 caliber & it is a lefty & I have shot it Rt. handed lots of times with no problem. No cheekpiece on that side but it didn't cause a problem. As for the pan flash ? what pan flash ? I never see it on either side as I am concentrating on the sights & target.

I just shouldered it aaagain & my face is 9" from the pan. If my beard get burnt from that distance it needed trimmed ! ha ha !

As for having a gun made, I don't know anyone that charges more for a left or righthanded as it is all the same when ya make the rifle. I know I would not charge any more for a lefty. Heck, you are one of the few in your Right mind.......

Some of the manufactured rifle charge more cause they sell less of those models so they don't get the discount in volume they would on parts for a right hand rifle. (Lt.Locks & Lt.stocks made)

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have any gun in mind. I just like to shop and the majority of used guns are RH. I never thought of the side by side shotgun arguement but it is an excellent point.

Musketman,
When loading a right handed flint for a left handed shooter (with a beard) ALWAYS remember to put the 65 grain charge in the barrel and the 2 grain charge in the pan. Not the other way around
grin.gif
grin.gif

A cup is made and may be available through one of the on-line catalogs that completely surrounds the nipple of a percussion lock. I think they were made for protecting the barrel from cap residue but it would work to protect an eye protection as well, IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by Cody Tetachuk:
Musketman,
When loading a right handed flint for a left handed shooter (with a beard) ALWAYS remember to put the 65 grain charge in the barrel and the 2 grain charge in the pan. Not the other way around
grin.gif
grin.gif
That depends on IF you like the shooter...
grin.gif

That'll teach him not to return my lawn mower...

TLD- I am right handed & shoot left becouse my left eye is the dominant one,my only problem is the hammer on flintlock falling in front of my eye is new to me and I flinch but maybe I would with a left handed gun also.Rocky

quote:Originally posted by Rocky Johnson:
my only problem is the hammer on flintlock falling in front of my eye is new to me and I flinch.That's why some people call them Flinch Locks...
grin.gif

It takes a bit of gitting use to, after all, there is a "small" explosion right beside your face...

As with anything, the more you do it, the more it becomes normal, give it time and you'll hardly notice the hammer fall...

I'm left handed, and the only issue I've had occurs with specific guns and when shooting in short sleeves: It's possible to get some hot residue from the cap blasted down onto your bare right arm.

I find the pan flash from a RH flintlock pretty disconcerting, but am not really aware of the hammer fall on a RH percussion. If (or when) I get a flintlock I'll most certainly get a LH version, but that's just my kink. I've opted for a RH Lyman percussion 54 rather than the LH version due to a friend's experience with the LH version and interference between the hammer and his add-on Lyman tang peep. I have no plans to use the tang peep, but wanted to keep the door open if I ever went that route.

shot right handed perc. guns left-handed for 25 years with no problem. Switched to flint about 5 or 6 years ago, convinced myself that it was not a problem. About 6 months ago, finally admitted that, about every 10th shot or so, I flinched, even if only a little, and it gave me a "flier"...I just bought two left-handed flinters..Lyman's Deerstalker, and Lyman's Great Plains ....The first cost about $225, the second about $325..from Mid-South Shooter's Supply...They also have left handed percussion versions. Hank

I am a lefty and have shot RH percussions for years. I have LH rifles for my flinters.
As far as the flinch factor goes, you should be able to shoot either side without flinching, there is acutally very little difference in the flash.
If you are flinching or watching the pan flash then you need to train yourself not too. Wrap a dull flint in leather or make one from wood. Now practice shooting without loading. Concentrate on the sights not the hammer and frizzen. Do this over and over until you do it right every time, over a period of days or weeks. The next step is a sharp flint and a pan of prime. Do the same thing until you don't even notice the flash in the pan. Only then move back to live firing.

Back