• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markdwhite15

Chopper
Reaction score
General question. How are you sellers packaging long guns to ship to buyers, and what approximately is it costing to ship long guns right now. I have a couple I'd like to sell, but want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks

I build a box from 1x4s(or cut down 1.6s for more room) and luan paneling. About $25-35 or so for the box parts. Inside packing is whatever I can scrounge up to stop movement. Shipping is USPS Priority approx. $150 and $200 depending on insurance. UPS is about the same. I've never had the opportunity to use Fedex. The USPS uses Fedex and UPS for shipping between cities.

Last edited:
Bubble wrap your rifle really well. Place it in a heavy duty 4"x8" dedicated rifle box. Pack filler material around the rifle. These rifle boxes are available from U-Line. 15 boxes to a bundle.

I've never had so much as a single problem shipping this way.

Seems like 40 to 60 bucks is the going shipping rate these days.

1" x 4" frame, 6' long, rifle sandwiched between plastic sheets, spray foam insulation all around so NOTHING moves. :cool: Split box that fits over 1"X 4" frame. Again, NOTHING moves. From Ohio builder to California, USPS First Class Insured for about $2K , just at $120.00. Shipped it back East to buyer for just at the same price. Not a mark on it. :thumb::thumb: Heavy but well worth the $$$ to protect it and guarantee safe delivery. Tracked all the way. Was held at our Rural PO for pick up. :D :D

I have shipped several with a couple different packings. One, that worked well, was a $10.00 hard rifle case bought from Walmart. It padlocked closed and I mailed the key separately to the buyer. Since so many of our guns are really-really long, I have used two regular rifle shipping boxes heavily taped together. I got some of them from a local, and friendly, gun shop for free. Two of the guns I shipped were smooth bores and I used the wads for packing material. Works, but, I'm sure, very messy when opened.

I make my boxes out of 1/4 plywood, pack the guns in bubble wrap, and label them as precision pipe.

My flintlock was packed really well, double boxed, reinforcing wood cling-wrapped to it, took half an hour to unwrap, cost $83.
My 1861 "springfield" was single boxed, barely any packing materials, only cost $37 to ship, but it was also within the same state.
Both this year.

I have used round “SonoTube” concrete form tubes in the past.
They work quite well, are stronger than you think and cheaper/faster than crating them.
Cut wood plug ends and screw them in place.

Back