• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shipping revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot send any concealable weapon through USPS. Antique, or replica. But that may change, per the ruling by the judge that possession of a handgun on PO property is legal. I just have anything I buy sent to my local gun store, so I can pick it up. Better than the neighborhood meth monkeys stealing it from the mailbox….
And everyone here is going to say you're wrong, despite the fact it's right there in their regs.

Although BP cap and ball revolvers may be considered antiques, they are concealable handguns and thus prohibited. I've highlighted the sections below. The key phrase is "except antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun or of a firearm capable of being concealed on a person."

43 Firearms​

431 Definitions​

431.1 Firearm​

The following definitions apply:

1. Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include antique firearms (except antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun or of a firearm capable of being concealed on a person).
  2. Firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel. Frames and receivers usually (but not always) include the firearm serial number and are usually considered to be the regulated component of a firearm.

431.2 Handguns​

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles) are defined as handguns. The following definitions apply:

1. Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm which has a short stock, and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 431.1, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.
  2. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.
  3. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels that are less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.

431.3 Antique Firearm​

Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
  2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

And everyone here is going to say you're wrong, despite the fact it's right there in their regs.

Although BP cap and ball revolvers may be considered antiques, they are concealable handguns and thus prohibited. I've highlighted the sections below. The key phrase is "except antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun or of a firearm capable of being concealed on a person."
How the heck is an 1858 Rem with an 8” barrel concealable? What are they thinking?

Like I said before- call or e mail your representatives! Let them know this is a crock ! As I told my state representative, I understand needing FFL to FFL for a modern handgun. But a 200 year old flintlock horse pistol?!?! Incredible.

Sam, it don’t matter. Let me tell you a story.
They are going to replace an intersection cross road by me with a roundabout. That has almost no traffic at cost of 2.5 million. But about a mile down same road is a dangerous intersection where people have died. So a bunch of us in neighborhood wrote and met with the sponsoring rep.
He treated us like children, pat on the head, we know nothing, go away.
Vote him out?, everyone loves this jerk, has a job for life.

How to ship bp guns/or not....version 9600
1706759267343.png

Read the postal regs I shared. ATF definitions don't matter. USPS considers *any* concealable gun to be prohibited.
And yet major suppliers use them all the time.

Federal law, not "ATF definitions". Apparently some folks don't know the difference.

And yet major suppliers use them all the time.

Federal law, not "ATF definitions". Apparently some folks don't know the difference.
Yup, and people speed all of the time. What's your point?

The USPS regs recognize what an antique gun is. They just specify if it is concealable, it's prohibited. Federal law has no bearing. Black powder is legal to own, but you can't ship that, either.

I guess the question is- fed ex, ups, can ban anything they don’t want to ship. They are a private company, they can do that. The USPS is a government entity…. Or are they a private company now? Because it seems they do what they want to now, and are not held responsible by anyone…

Sam, it don’t matter. Let me tell you a story.
They are going to replace an intersection cross road by me with a roundabout. That has almost no traffic at cost of 2.5 million. But about a mile down same road is a dangerous intersection where people have died. So a bunch of us in neighborhood wrote and met with the sponsoring rep.
He treated us like children, pat on the head, we know nothing, go away.
Vote him out?, everyone loves this jerk, has a job for life.
dont that just rub u the wrong way when someone treats you like that.

Back