• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping a Ruger old army to Washington state?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The state government in WA excels at passing unnecessary, ineffectual gun control laws while ignoring the root causes of crime, but you can still purchase a BP muzzleloader without having to go through an FFL. A few months ago I received a BP ML from a forum member on the other side of the country who shipped it without incident.

You would be wise to contact an established FFL (not a big box store) to learn the reality. Bill at Muzzleloader Supply on River Road in Puyallup would be able to tell you how to deal with the latest craziness coming out of Olympia. My favorite unmentionable shop is Marksman, also in Puyallup. The state has made it very difficult for independent FFLs to stay in business. I support them whenever I can even it means I pay a little bit more.

many if not all states, or maybe the feds now consider this [roa] a firearm because it easily converts to centerfire check it out. also it is not pre 1898 and is not a reproduction of anything made prior to that ;) . armchair layers cant help you if you get locked up o_O
The ATF DOES NOT CONSIDER THE ROA A FIREARM IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM…

If they did it would be on their list. If you don’t know what is and isn’t on the list you should refrain from saying anything like this as if it’s a fact. It is not. There are many c+b weapons which are not replicas specifically but they are not firearms according to the ATF. your state legislature may feel differently but that’s another issue.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download
https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download

Last edited:
There was a guy on here a month or two ago, needed caps to shoot his first BP pistol. I have a lot so i got his address and wrapped a bunch in aluminum foil, put in envelope and shipped. Never arrived. So maybe the USPS has some new super duper tech that can view thru aluminum foil.

There was a guy on here a month or two ago, needed caps to shoot his first BP pistol. I have a lot so i got his address and wrapped a bunch in aluminum foil, put in envelope and shipped. Never arrived. So maybe the USPS has some new super duper tech that can view thru aluminum foil.
I think they have something similar to airport screening; just my casual thought. Maybe wrapping in foil was not the best idea; I'd pad them in a box or container of some sort. There's a looming (AGAIN!) ammo shortage due to the new wars, and the gov't. shut down the ability of Winchester and others to source modern ammo from the Lake City plant which is got'v. owned and run. Much of 'ammo shortages' is caused by dealers hoarding and locking up stocks; recently at large regional gun shows, ammo was stacked like cord-wood. Where was it a couple years ago? Hoarded to cash in on prices, etc. Remember, caps are "explosive" to an extent, and the USPS forbids anything that is flammable, etc. Look at the posters in the post offices.

[snip]
So maybe the USPS has some new super duper tech that can view thru aluminum foil.
One of the last classes I took was a Transportation Security class. While the degree centered on aviation, the class was on transportation security overall. The text was horrible (long story), but occasionally actually swerved into transportation security, if only by accident while pushing the author's agenda.

As I recall, the book was published in 2010. I probably have the numbers wrong, but around 2010, less than 10% of all containers entering the US were being automatically scanned, using various types of scanners. By automatic, they meant the computer program decided if the container needed to be examined or not, or at least flagged for human review of the scanner imagery.

I forget the timeline, but the goal was within x years to be scanning 50% and x+ years be scanning 100% of containers entering the country. They also planned to ramp up scanning within the country. It's unclear how, or under what authority they were going to do this, maybe predicated on using federal roads? There was no detail about that, but the "experts" certainly had the aspirational goal of getting to a point where most domestic shipping was scanned.

Odd they still can't see a container full of dying illegal aliens in a trailer where the refrigeration unit failed, but I guess the scanning logic never considered looking for human beings.

One of the last classes I took was a Transportation Security class. While the degree centered on aviation, the class was on transportation security overall. The text was horrible (long story), but occasionally actually swerved into transportation security, if only by accident while pushing the author's agenda.

As I recall, the book was published in 2010. I probably have the numbers wrong, but around 2010, less than 10% of all containers entering the US were being automatically scanned, using various types of scanners. By automatic, they meant the computer program decided if the container needed to be examined or not, or at least flagged for human review of the scanner imagery.

I forget the timeline, but the goal was within x years to be scanning 50% and x+ years be scanning 100% of containers entering the country. They also planned to ramp up scanning within the country. It's unclear how, or under what authority they were going to do this, maybe predicated on using federal roads? There was no detail about that, but the "experts" certainly had the aspirational goal of getting to a point where most domestic shipping was scanned.

Odd they still can't see a container full of dying illegal aliens in a trailer where the refrigeration unit failed, but I guess the scanning logic never considered looking for human beings.
“It's unclear how, or under what authority they were going to do this, maybe predicated on using federal roads? There was no detail about that, but the "experts" certainly had the aspirational goal of getting to a point where most domestic shipping was scanned.”

The Bureau for the Prevention of Bad Things was created by an act of Congress. A friend or family member of a powerful Senator was appointed to head the Agency and given a multi million dollar budget. He then hired a staff and tasked them with identifying Bad Things and writing regulations designed to prevent the Bad Things from happening. Congress never wrote a law directing federal moneys be spent on screening 💯 of domestic shipping but the bureaucrats felt that absent such screening, Bad Things could happen, so they went ahead and created rules and regulations, requested more money, which they received, (because who wouldn’t want to prevent Bad Things?) and spent on a massive program which exceeded their budget by 50%…

Ha, have you ever strolled through a Walmart store? Theres plenty in there that could fit an roa inbetween their ‘folds’ no problem.

I live for part of the year in Canada and PNW. So yes, I'm familiar with the 'People of Walmart'.

There must be a way we can personally combat this. First thought that comes to mind is belonging to a gun club with at least one of the members holding an FFL. Ship to, or from, him. The problem currently shipping via USPS is that should something happen to the gun in transit, USPS won't cover the insurance. Do remember that USPS provides their own insurance - and they HATE to pay out. They will play dirtier than dirty to block your claim. Who knows what will happen once they have those scanners up and running? Will they refuse the shipment and return it? Throw it in the garbage? We successfully ship them currently, but will it always be so?

They first announced it in 2012.

So, first they redefine firearm outside of the definition in law. Then they create a new quandary: what is concealable?

In the example USPS uses announcing the change, they mention short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns and take the barrel lengths from the statute. That's an incredibly broad definition of "concealable."

Just another example of gun grabbers unable to get the legislation they want passed or unable to win in court, using internal "rules" of retail organizations to achieve the same goals. This is even better since we can't sue them for exceeding their authority or violating the constitution.

Until October 2019, a FedEx ground customer could send a firearm to an FFL, even if they didn't have an FFL. Then a group of anti-gun-owner senators signed a letter to major shipping and courier companies threatening them with congressional hearings if they didn't modify their regulations. Within a couple a months, all carriers started requiring FFL to FFL transfers. It is not the law.
We live in a country where justice is a game! You can't find two lawyers or judges that interpret a law the same way! Is this an accident, I don't think so, by design it keeps them working! If the glove doesn't fit (over at least 2 pairs of rubber gloves) you must acquit, but in another court 2 life sentences plus a 100 yrs. Like it wasn't bad enough, now the courts are politically weaponized! We're in a battle for our rights, vote accordingly!

I contacted every politician in my district, just got a form e mail back…. I’ll make it my hobby to pester them every chance I get. I understand not shipping a modern handgun through the mail, but a 200 year old flint horse pistol that’s no threat to anyone? Ridiculous.

I think once the refusal to ship “ concealable “ weapons settles for a few years, they will ban even long guns from being shipped. Then it’s either a very long drive to purchase what you want, or nothing.

The ATF DOES NOT CONSIDER THE ROA A FIREARM IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM…

If they did it would be on their list. If you don’t know what is and isn’t on the list you should refrain from saying anything like this as if it’s a fact. It is not. There are many c+b weapons which are not replicas specifically but they are not firearms according to the ATF. your state legislature may feel differently but that’s another issue.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download
https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download
However, the ROA can be easily converted to cartridge ammo. Which does make it a firearm according to Michigan law. In Michigan any C&P that can be converted is to be treated like an ordinary firearm and shipped via FFL. I suspect other states have similar.

Latest posts

Back