• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SHIPPED ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see the word "shipped" frequently in these for sale postings. It is a bit of a bother. What does it mean? Boxed and taken to the post office or UPS? Or delivered to the buyer's door?
I shipped a lot of product prior to retirement. The clear and usual designation was FOB.
Either FOB origin or FOB destination. In the former, buyer pays freight. In the latter the seller pays.
FOB= Free on Board

I see the word "shipped" frequently in these for sale postings. It is a bit of a bother. What does it mean? Boxed and taken to the post office or UPS? Or delivered to the buyer's door?
I shipped a lot of product prior to retirement. The clear and usual designation was FOB.
Either FOB origin or FOB destination. In the former, buyer pays freight. In the latter the seller pays.
FOB= Free on Board
It means shipping costs are included in the final sale price.

If someone says they will sell you something for "$500 shipped" it means you pay $500 total cost to you.

As opposed to buying something for $500 plus shipping, which will cost you $500 plus shipping costs (so more than $500).

OK. But are you the buyer or the seller?
When I have listed an item for sale, for which shipping is included in the price (ie, seller is paying for the shipping), I would say “$400 shipped” or “to your door” etc. if the buyer is expected to pay the cost of shipping, I would usually say, $400 + shipping” or something similar.

I guess I never knew what FOB actually meant so I looked it up.

Free on Board (FOB) is a shipment term used to indicate whether the seller or the buyer is liable for goods that are damaged or destroyed during shipping. "FOB shipping point" or "FOB origin" means the buyer is at risk once the seller ships the product. The purchaser pays the shipping cost from the factory and is responsible if the goods are damaged while in transit. "FOB destination" means the seller retains the risk of loss until the goods reach the buyer.

KEY TAKEAWAYS​

• Free on Board (FOB) is a term used to indicate who is liable for goods damaged or destroyed during shipping.
  • "FOB origin" means the buyer is at risk once the seller ships the product.
  • "FOB destination" means the seller retains the risk of loss until the goods reach the buyer.
  • The terms of FOB affect the buyer's inventory cost—adding liability for shipped goods increases inventory costs and reduces net income.
  • Legal definitions of FOB may differ between individual countries.
Source: Investopedia

FOB= Free on Board
You have an Interesting aspect,, that's usually not considered within private sale offerings.
In private sales, it's just that, an arrangement that's made between the individuals.
FOB designations in commercial shipping has to do usually with insurance costs and liability. Who legally get's the money in case of mishap or damage,, the buyer or seller?
AND, when the actual cost/money exchange of the product is made between the parties,
As a buyer; is it mine when it's sold, or is it still the sellers property until I receive it?

It's much simpler with private sales
As described already, a listing is usually,
$500 shipped = seller pay's shipping and insurance (if insurance is needed)
$500 + shipping = buyer pays above the cost of the item for shipping and insurance, (again if insurance is wanted/needed)

Who legally get's the money in case of mishap or damage,, the buyer or seller?
AND, when the actual cost/money exchange of the product is made between the parties,
As a buyer; is it mine when it's sold, or is it still the sellers property until I receive it?
As someone else posted somewhere recently, a lot of people have pushed the responsibility onto buyers to deal with lost/damaged purchases. But the way I have always seen it is if I buy a thing from you, and I pay for shipping and insurance, what I am actually doing is reimbursing you for your costs of shipping and insurance. I am not arranging the shipping and insurance - the seller is. So if something goes wrong and I don't get what I bought, in my mind the onus is on the seller - the guy who arranged the shipping and insurance - to take care of making good on his deal and either refunding my money or sending me a replacement product.

The FOB origin vs. destination I think goes beyond just who pays - I think with FOB origin the buyer is actually responsible for arranging and paying for the shipping/insurance with the shipper.

In other words, if you buy something FOB origin, then you, the buyer, has to arrange for a shipper to come get the product from the freight dock of the seller and deliver it to you.

But the way I have always seen it is if I buy a thing from you, and I pay for shipping and insurance, what I am actually doing is reimbursing you for your costs of shipping and insurance. I am not arranging the shipping and insurance - the seller is. So if something goes wrong and I don't get what I bought, in my mind the onus is on the seller - the guy who arranged the shipping and insurance - to take care of making good on his deal and either refunding my money or sending me a replacement product.
Yup! 👍
So you see, @SOLANCO 's original posted query is really about his experience with commercial shipping and the proper legal format as they may apply to private sales.
When items are traded between private parties within the realm of membership forums such as we have here,. other rules and laws come to play.
FOB guidelines don't fit well, as it's an agreement between individuals.

There are items I've bought here, where I offered the seller extra cash above cost,,to insure the item shipped USPS for over $500 (it's about $10 extra),, doing so makes USPS handle the item differently, It's in locked storage between trucks and has to be signed for at delivery.
So, for $10 extra, I get that box with the $250 pistol placed in my hand at signature,, not just dropped on my front stoop 10 minutes after I leave for a 12hr shift,, if I'm not there,, I get a note to pick it up, it get's locked storage again, and I sign for it when I pick it up..
;)

p.s. There are sellers that can even mess that up too! (been there, done that!)

Last edited:
It is my understanding that FOB is normally used for commercial shipments by ocean freight. The acronym means “Freight on Board” as in the seller is only responsible for paying for delivery of the goods to the vessel. Once the goods are delivered and loaded on the vessel, the buyer is responsible for all other shipping costs including insurance, Customs fees, tax, and local delivery to the buyer’s final destination.

The term FOB is used loosely by many people, but there are other terms to cover other types of shipping. Look up “INCOTERMS” for complete explanations on how and when to use the various terms. It can be confusing!

As someone else posted somewhere recently, a lot of people have pushed the responsibility onto buyers to deal with lost/damaged purchases. But the way I have always seen it is if I buy a thing from you, and I pay for shipping and insurance, what I am actually doing is reimbursing you for your costs of shipping and insurance. I am not arranging the shipping and insurance - the seller is. So if something goes wrong and I don't get what I bought, in my mind the onus is on the seller - the guy who arranged the shipping and insurance - to take care of making good on his deal and either refunding my money or sending me a replacement product.

The FOB origin vs. destination I think goes beyond just who pays - I think with FOB origin the buyer is actually responsible for arranging and paying for the shipping/insurance with the shipper.

In other words, if you buy something FOB origin, then you, the buyer, has to arrange for a shipper to come get the product from the freight dock of the seller and deliver it to you.
I agree. If I buy something and pay for shipping or not, it doesn't matter. i paid for an item. if i do not receive it, it is the SELLERS responsibility to either replace it or refund my money. That is par of doing business and selling things. You are responsible for them.

I agree. If I buy something and pay for shipping or not, it doesn't matter. i paid for an item. if i do not receive it, it is the SELLERS responsibility to either replace it or refund my money. That is par of doing business and selling things. You are responsible for them.
I disagree , once shipped as described insured or not it is the shipping company's responsibility (NOT THE SELLERS) ! As the seller I dictate the condition of sale, you as the buyer says I'll take it and send payment as stated in add .IF not to your liking keep your money and go else where .Simple , don't expect to agree to sellers terms and then whine and change the agreement to fit your needs /Ed

Latest posts

Back