Sharpshooter cap maker

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Winchester97

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
With the current situation with percussion cap availability, would anyone who has used this capmaker/priming compound please chime in on reliability, quality, does the compund stay seated?, etc. Anything you could share would be valuable.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought one last year and made a test batch of caps. The die took a bit of trial and error, but once I figured it out it was easy to bang out caps. The priming compound was simple to mix and I used a drop or two of acetone mixed with Duco cement to keep it in place. A little tedious, but no big deal to fill the caps with priming compound. The compound stayed in the caps and they all went bang and satisfactorily ignited my sidelocks. If anything, they were a bit hotter than the Rem 11s I was using. So I would say it is a usable product and makes decent caps. No idea if they would play nice with a revolver, but I'd guess the biggest issue would be cap size vs. nipple fit.

Winchester97

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one last year and made a test batch of caps. The die took a bit of trial and error, but once I figured it out it was easy to bang out caps. The priming compound was simple to mix and I used a drop or two of acetone mixed with Duco cement to keep it in place. A little tedious, but no big deal to fill the caps with priming compound. The compound stayed in the caps and they all went bang and satisfactorily ignited my sidelocks. If anything, they were a bit hotter than the Rem 11s I was using. So I would say it is a usable product and makes decent caps. No idea if they would play nice with a revolver, but I'd guess the biggest issue would be cap size vs. nipple fit.
Excellent, thanks. Mixing the Duco cement with acetone is a good idea to keep it in the cap.

Winchester97

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, I am surprised they haven't sold out yet.
Won't be long till they are, as most places are out of caps now. If not, they are asking $8-12 per tin locally,never would have guessed that one.

Kansas Kid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered a punch and two kits of primer mix yesterday. Free shipping and no hazmat.

I was surprised they weren’t sold out already.

TexasAndy

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect we will slowly but steadily see a supply of the European made caps like RWS etc. The Europeans are not experiencing the same increase in demand and muzzleloading is a very big sport in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France and many countries in Eastern Europe.

painter

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered a kit and one package of the mix.

I have a bunch of caps, but I figured I'd try it out. If I only use up the one package of mix the whole exercise only cost me 3 and a half cents a cap, based on 2k yield, which is less than half what I have found them for locally.

I wish they made the tool in musket size.

Dave Markowitz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
FWIW, I ordered one of the Sharpshooter cap maker kits on January 1st. I got my tracking number today, January 26th. They must be swamped with orders.

Grimord

Fyrstyk
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the tool for years, but when I ran out of the priming mix I switched to using the old fashioned roll caps that we used in cap guns as a kid. I peel off 3 of the cap blisters and stuff them in the cap body. A drop of acetone/duco cement mix to hold everything in place. I prime the nipple with about 1 grain of 4f. Every cap I have tried so far has gone boom.

Winchester97

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the tool for years, but when I ran out of the priming mix I switched to using the old fashioned roll caps that we used in cap guns as a kid. I peel off 3 of the cap blisters and stuff them in the cap body. A drop of acetone/duco cement mix to hold everything in place. I prime the nipple with about 1 grain of 4f. Every cap I have tried so far has gone boom.
Excellent, thank you for the info! Could you share the mix ratio on acetone and cement?

Reaction score
I ordered one as well more than three weeks ago and haven't heard from them yet. I guess they ARE selling well.
BTW, I have heard good reports about people using hairspray to coat the insides of the caps. My wife tells me it is very flammable. I used the acetone/Duco cement mixture (maybe a 70/30 mix)on a different project this summer. The fumes gave me an awful headache.

Last edited:

Dude

40 Cal
Reaction score
Where do you guys find the good German roll caps these days?

Tom A Hawk

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you guys find the good German roll caps these days?

Dude

40 Cal
Reaction score
Thanks for that Tom!
Any idea if the Parris caps are German made or Chinese?

fishmusic

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried fly tying cement?