• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharpshooter cap maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used some other binders than duco cement. Shellac flakes mixed with denatured alcohol works really well.You use so little ,it could last for years. This is one everyone can do . Water and Elmers white glue. Two drops mixed with a teaspoon of water. With this it's better to shake it up to get it mixed better.Use a dip stick to apply for both of these. Water will not ruin your powders or toy caps. The hairspray will work too .Don't use too much or your cap may not work.

I bought one last year and made a test batch of caps. The die took a bit of trial and error, but once I figured it out it was easy to bang out caps. The priming compound was simple to mix and I used a drop or two of acetone mixed with Duco cement to keep it in place. A little tedious, but no big deal to fill the caps with priming compound. The compound stayed in the caps and they all went bang and satisfactorily ignited my sidelocks. If anything, they were a bit hotter than the Rem 11s I was using. So I would say it is a usable product and makes decent caps. No idea if they would play nice with a revolver, but I'd guess the biggest issue would be cap size vs. nipple fit.
I bought one last year and made a test batch of caps. The die took a bit of trial and error, but once I figured it out it was easy to bang out caps. The priming compound was simple to mix and I used a drop or two of acetone mixed with Duco cement to keep it in place. A little tedious, but no big deal to fill the caps with priming compound. The compound stayed in the caps and they all went bang and satisfactorily ignited my sidelocks. If anything, they were a bit hotter than the Rem 11s I was using. So I would say it is a usable product and makes decent caps. No idea if they would play nice with a revolver, but I'd guess the biggest issue would be cap size vs. nipple fit.
I have used maybe 100 of the Sharpshooter caps on my revolvers. Just like regular caps make sure they're fully seated. As some of the guys have said, the caps are hotter than the store bought.
Main problem with revolvers is how many caps get used up.

Latest posts

Back