• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharing My Brown Bess - Looks to be somewhat Defarbed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaxspore

32 Cal
Reaction score
I bought this roughly 9 years ago off a pawn shop who had it listed on gunbroker. I got her for around 7 bills.

I have shot it and it sparks well and the fit / finish / marking quality is top tier in my opinon.

This is just speculation but it looks like it has been defarbed some time in its past.

Please feel free to comment and enjoy the pictures.

Cheers

1705687549142.png

1705687562076.png

1705687581846.png

1705687597254.png

1705687610054.png

1705687625659.png

This should be in the smoothbore forum. And, what makes you think it’s been defarbed?

I’m just seeing a nice older Pedersoli Bess in used condition with all the modern markings and incorrectly marked plate.

That’s a good looking Bess. Prices have really shot up over the past few years.

As far as defarbing goes, It all depends on how serious you get. The Grice 1762 would need removed as well as Pedersoli and serial number that’s stamped on the barrel.

The overwhelming majority of folks done even mess with it. Enjoy your musket!!

opps apologizes, i didnt catch this is rifles flint lock.

Can mods please move this to the correct forum.

If anyone defarbed it they sure missed the sling swivels. It looks like they may have removed the proof marks, serial # and some other info on the side of the barrel that has the Pedersoli stamp but why would they have left that? The lock date should have been changed and a rounded side plate added. Actually it looks good as is.

The correct bayonet never had a locking ring and the locking ring shouldn't have a square nut on it.

If anyone defarbed it they sure missed the sling swivels. It looks like they may have removed the proof marks, serial # and some other info on the side of the barrel that has the Pedersoli stamp but why would they have left that? The lock date should have been changed and a rounded side plate added. Actually it looks good as is.

The correct bayonet never had a locking ring and the locking ring shouldn't have a square nut on it.
I don’t think that retaining ring is actually original to that bayonet.

I bought this roughly 9 years ago off a pawn shop who had it listed on gunbroker. I got her for around 7 bills.

I have shot it and it sparks well and the fit / finish / marking quality is top tier in my opinon.

This is just speculation but it looks like it has been defarbed some time in its past.

Please feel free to comment and enjoy the pictures.

Cheers

View attachment 286820

View attachment 286821

View attachment 286822

View attachment 286823

View attachment 286824

View attachment 286825

Nah that's a standard Pedersoli 2nd Model Bess. Could use some polish but only IF you want to bring it back to British Infantry specs. The bayonet is from the 19th century, and not for a Bess

LD

Forgot to mention the bayonet was with it at the auction. Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I wasn't sure, I do like the look.

It’s In it’s full military configuration. There has been no altering.

I was giving a compliment, and relating what it brought to my mind. It looks refinished (faded blue/ brown). If you want to expound on why this is wrong; fine, do so then. But the gotcha style format of your questions makes me think I stumbled into "blackpowder snipers hide".

I was giving a compliment, and relating what it brought to my mind. It looks refinished (faded blue/ brown). If you want to expound on why this is wrong; fine, do so then. But the gotcha style format of your questions makes me think I stumbled into "blackpowder snipers hide".
It’s not a gotcha style. It’s a fact. Patina is not sporterization. Physical altering to resemble a sporting arm is sporterization. This particular musket is in full military configuration.

to elborate on my toughts of it being lightly defarbed the only modern marking i could spot was the faint pedersoli stamp. I am happy with the look and i appreciate all the comments.

The musket is in patina.

1705786230080.png

1705786266189.png

Back