• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sgt. York Targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Good folks,

Does anyone use the V shaped targets like the ones used in the target shooting scene of the movie ”Sergeant York”? Do you shoot at matches or a club that uses these?

Also, were these targets common back in the day or was this just a Hollywood thing?

And yes, I’ve used the search and google functions, but haven’t found much if any information about these targets.

Thanks

I’ve shot them at a few club matches over the years. Most had arched lines in the V with the highest score at the bottom. Outside the V is no score.
Thanks,

I’ve watched that scene several times and far as I can tell they measured to determine who shot closest to the bottom of the V. Maybe without cutting the V? Is this correct?

Maybe I should be ashamed to admit it, but I have not seen the movie. The last chapter in Ned Roberts' book, The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle, is entitled "A Beef Shoot at Jimtown," describing an old-time rifle match in Jamestown, Fentress County, Tennessee. Alvin York was present as a participant. The targets are described as charred boards with an incised "X," and "The aiming point is cut from a piece of white card, its size and shape being dictated by the fancy of the shooter..." (p. 301).

In The Muzzle-Loading Rifle: Then and Now, by Walter Cline, I found a photo on page 57 of a shooter named Arthur Kelly who appears to be holding a target board with bullet holes, with a rather large white rectangle affixed to it. I don't see a "vee"cut. However, later in the book, there is a description of a shooting match held near Pikeville, Tennessee in 1927. The author stated "Two kinds of targets were used. (1) a piece of white cardboard about four inches by five inches tacked on a charred board about 8 inches by twelve inches. On the charred board two lines were cut at right angles, over which the cardboard was placed. The object was to cut the cross or the intersectioon of the lines. (2) An inverted cut was made in a piece of white cardboard and the apex placed directly over the intersection of the lines cut in the charred board" (p.114-115).

That second target described by Mr. Cline sounds a lot like the target described from the movie. I've never shot at a target of that type, but would like to try it. My vision has deteriorated over the years, and target shooting has become more of a challenge. The white aiming point on the black background sounded interesting, so I pasted up some NFAA Hunter targets to try with my muzzleloader:

Hunter Targe 1.1.jpgHunter Target 1.2.jpg

For the record, it didn't help much. However, it was worth a try, and I might paint over that white bullseye and affix a card with a "vee" cut in its place, to simulate the target as described for Alvin York.

Notchy Bob

Over in the Muzzleloading & History in the Media section is the thread “Best and Worst Actor in a Role of Ours?”. Vintovka posted a YouTube clip of that movie and the target shooting starts at about 2:32.

It’s on page 6 of the thread.

Last edited:
Over in the Muzzleloading & History in the Media section is the thread “Best and Worst Actor in a Role of Ours?”. Vintovka posted a YouTube clip of that movie and the target shooting starts at about 2:32.

It’s on page 6 of the thread.
Thanks, @Banjoman , and @vintovka !

I'll check that out.

Notchy Bob

Good folks,

Does anyone use the V shaped targets like the ones used in the target shooting scene of the movie ”Sergeant York”? Do you shoot at matches or a club that uses these?

Also, were these targets common back in the day or was this just a Hollywood thing?

And yes, I’ve used the search and google functions, but haven’t found much if any information about these targets.

Thanks
Had a good friend, now sadly deceased. that was HEAVY into muzzle loaders, rendezvous and such shot this style target. Also had some very weird targets with the outline of antique style glass bottles on them. Said the object was to hit the bottle neck at 25 yards. or some such to get the highest score.

Thank you Gone, I printed one out and printed another after hitting the + sign, for old man eyes, Hah!! This just might be my new go to printout. Thanks again.
Robby

Had a good friend, now sadly deceased. that was HEAVY into muzzle loaders, rendezvous and such shot this style target. Also had some very weird targets with the outline of antique style glass bottles on them. Said the object was to hit the bottle neck at 25 yards. or some such to get the highest score.
Yup, at the Gemmer Club, we shoot the bottle match once a year. Six bottles of various sizes. 25 or 35 yards offhand. Depends on the mood of the range officer.
10 points in the bottle neck.
7 points if the ball cuts the line between the neck and body.
5 points for a ball in the body.
3 points for a ball nicking the bottle.

Fun match.

Yup, at the Gemmer Club, we shoot the bottle match once a year. Six bottles of various sizes. 25 or 35 yards offhand. Depends on the mood of the range officer.
10 points in the bottle neck.
7 points if the ball cuts the line between the neck and body.
5 points for a ball in the body.
3 points for a ball nicking the bottle.

Fun match.
I think I know and shot that target once. But I think it was only 15 yards (close!) at the club i shot with on occasion.

I thought it was ridiculous close until shooting at it. It turned out to be hilariously fun and more challenging than first appeared.

Latest posts

Back