• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains Hunter Target Rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone using the Great Plains Hunter's as target rifles?
What kind of bullets are you using?

Quite a while back I'd picked up a lefthand .54 to try out for plinking, killing off tomato cans and as well as bench shooting. Got some molds for it but just haven't found the time (yet).
54 hb conical nose 2.jpg

Search for the user Idaho Ron, he’s done some great stuff with GPH. You may want to go over to the sister site modernmuzzleloaders to see the threads he has written over there on his bench rifle set up. Cheers

I'd never gone to the modernmuzzleloaders website before.
Nothing new; updates on what Ron and Lewis once upon a time posted on this site.

I use high power loads paper patched in the .401 bore Great Plains Rifle barrel I got from Ed Rayl in '08 and the .458 bore New Englander received from Mr. Hoyt in 2011. This lefthand .54 Hunter barrel is a drop-in for the .401 rifle, to be used with lubed bullets, low intensity loadings with the powder charge generally maxing out at 1/10th to 1/8th the weight of the bullets as was found to work best in the 1850's studies published by the army. That's not what Lyman marketed Great Plains Hunter's for but that's what I have it for.
Hopefully someone else is enjoying plinking and will share their Great Plains Hunter info.

I'd never gone to the modernmuzzleloaders website before.
Nothing new; updates on what Ron and Lewis once upon a time posted on this site.

I use high power loads paper patched in the .401 bore Great Plains Rifle barrel I got from Ed Rayl in '08 and the .458 bore New Englander received from Mr. Hoyt in 2011. This lefthand .54 Hunter barrel is a drop-in for the .401 rifle, to be used with lubed bullets, low intensity loadings with the powder charge generally maxing out at 1/10th to 1/8th the weight of the bullets as was found to work best in the 1850's studies published by the army. That's not what Lyman marketed Great Plains Hunter's for but that's what I have it for.
Hopefully someone else is enjoying plinking and will share their Great Plains Hunter info.
I’m following this as I’m also trying to get my.54 GPH lined out for longer range. So far I have got the 535 grain no excuses bullet working well at 100 yards. Currently hunting season is interrupting further progress.
I think my eyes need different sights for better progress so far

Back