• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Serial Number Dating a T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Renegade! Beautiful browning on the barrel. My T/C Hawken kit from 1981 has a browned barrel as well (not built by me, but certainly appreciated by me 😎) That striping is first rate! Is it painted? I love the overall color and appearance! Two thumbs up from me! ‘Poet
Thanks- I just refinished it. I painted the stripes on with black fountain pen ink, and applied several coats of Tru-Oil and Gun Stock Wax. When I first built it in the 80s I had used a hot brown solution but it was pretty splotchy, so I took most of it off with steel wool and used Laurel Mountain Forge barrel brown and degreaser. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

On my Black Diamond .50cal it’s on the left side of the receiver, immediately behind the bolt opening where the primer goes.

(Bought in 2010 or 2011- #108XXX)
Maybe true, but the Black Diamond (an in-line by the way) came out in 1998, a year after the fire in 1997 that destroyed among other things, Thompson Center manufacturing records. There is little question about the post fire records and dates, it is the pre 1997 fire manufacturing dates that are in question.

I had an earlier post here but didn't put the #'s. 1985 TC Hawkin kit in .54 cal Ser.K2660. In 88 I bought a Seneca in .36 cal for the wife, factory rifle Ser. 29521.

My first black powder rifle was a TC .50 cal Hawken. I bought it brand new in the JC Penny store in Anchorage, Alaska in the fall of 1977. The serial is K33,XXX. I still have the rifle.

I have one registered in December 1970, SN # 112x.
Barrel marker looks like a "B"

20221122_110728(1).jpg

What years did they not have the warning or the name "Hawken" on the barrels? This one, 45 cal S/N 79564 has a case hardened lock, blued bbl., and brass everywhere else. The wood stock is very plain Jane..... Basically too ugly for a Show Girl.

Don't own the gun, but I wondered if it was as Rifleman1776 stated as a "pure patch grabber" if the bore looked good?

Thanks in advance for the advice and info.

Oh, it has the clean out screw in the snail too.

Last edited:
I have a T/C Hawken 45 cal, with Serial# 32,8xx that I bought used in the early 80's. By the looks of some posts here it seems like it was probably made in about 1974 and that sounds about right considering. I got it at a small gunshow in a local firehall for $130. Best gun deal I ever made because I've shot it a lot, taken a bunch of deer with it, and it's still in really good shape. The only thing I've done to it is replace the frizzen.

My brother brought over his Hawken flintlock yesterday because it wasn't sparking well. It is a kit gun he got off our old neighbor. Serial# K4,3xx. Beautiful piece of figured walnut in the stock. There was a sizable gap between the pan and the barrel, so I inlet the lock to remove the gap. I had to replace the fly also because halfcock only worked on occasion. Got a new frizzen on the way... and a taller hammer just in case.

Nice score Jeff! Your brother's is a real low number!!
Mine, a 45 cal flintlock does have the "K" in front with a low number 10,5XX. Its was built real well, shoots straight, the lock is like new and very consistant with firing. I lucked out as I explained in an earlier post, it was gifted to me by a good friend who is a realtor. She found it in an attic of a vacant home she was selling along with a shotgun and another rifle. Her husband kept the other two they didnt want the flint lock. It was just dusty no rust no grime, actually in beautiful condition once given a good cleaning.

My first black powder rifle was a TC .50 cal Hawken. I bought it brand new in the JC Penny store in Anchorage, Alaska in the fall of 1977. The serial is K33,XXX. I still have the rifle.
I just had a buddy of mine give me a .50 cal T/C Hawkins he bought new in early 70's he said. Serial #22,XXX. Said he only shot it a couple times. I have the original box of ball which is missing about 5 of them. The rifle still looks new, and im new to this sport and looking forward to shooting it.

I have my late father’s .45 Hawken with serial number 109,xxx and a spade marked on the barrel. I read that Sharon Rfile Barrel Co. used the spade stamp but was trying to get a time period for when this gun was probably bought. I’m guessing the 70s since the company closed in 78. anyone have a more firm date guesstimate?

Below are numbers from my records. The used number most likely will not help you much.

Renegade 54, bought used in 1983, #26XXX
Renegade 54, bought new in 1992, #319XXX
Renegade 50, bought new in 1993, #353XXX (kit)
Renegade 54, bought used in 2002, #127XXX
Renegade 56, bought used in 2006, #191XXX

Hawken 45, bought new in 2006, #481XXX

1” 54 Roundball barrel, bought new in 1983, #51XX

Patriot 45 pistol, bought new in 1983, #28XXX

New Englander 12 guage, bought new 1992, #6XXX

RDE
1973 Hawken 50 67xxx

Back