• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it shows with a max charge of 90grs.ffg AND A .440 DIA, 127GR. BAll the MV is 1,980f.p.s. and the ME IS 1,106 FT. LBS. IT SAYS THE SWEET SPOT IS 60 GRS. FFG WITH A MV OF 1,701 AND THE ME IS 816 FT.LBS.

THE MAX LOAD WITH A MAXI BALL OR MAXI HUNTER IS 80GRS. FFG- MV-1,541 F.P.S., ME-1,266FT.LBS THESE LOADS ARE FOR THE SENECA OR CHEROKEE, THESE LOADS ARE FROM THE RED T/C BOOK.

TC uses 70 gr of 2F for testing on senecas in 45 cal. It seems the 45 cal Hawkens out shoot the 45 cal Senecas.

I'd be very hesitant to shoot a heavy load out of a Seneca, because of the small stock. I have a 36 Seneca, and it seems to a lot less than 1 1/2 lbs. lighter than my Hawken, but I have never actually weighed them.

hadden west said:
I'd be very hesitant to shoot a heavy load out of a Seneca, because of the small stock. I have a 36 Seneca, and it seems to a lot less than 1 1/2 lbs. lighter than my Hawken, but I have never actually weighed them.

Not sure where the line is for "heavy loads". It is a light rifle however. My wifes is modified with a Douglas barrel that is longer than what comes on the TC. She has shot it countless times in competition with 'moderate' loads. And, she has taken two deer with it using a charge of 65 gr. of 3Fg. Only casualty was to the deer. Being a fairly light rifle, I'll agree stout loads could be uncomfortable on the shooter. I see no need for super charges so will never learn where, if any, the breakdown point is for a Seneca.

Back