• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Semi-permanent rear sight attachment?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I'd like to place what might be a temporary, but could turn out permanent, rear sight on my Tule FdC. I'm using an old brass rear sight off of an old rifle barrel. Not going to be dovetailing it as I'm not sure it will be kept.
I'm going to try it back really far compared to a rifle, more like a Type-G sight.

Thoughts on how to attach?
I'm leaning toward the low temp solder paste I have used to solder on some broken off barrel lugs.
Some have mentioned epoxy in the past. I'm concerned about how to remove the sight if I don't like it or need to replace it for some reason. And how to remove the epoxy once the sight is off.
Obviously heat will remove the soldered on sight. But, how to remove the solder at that point.
I'm sure either will hold the sight in place as long as I want it there. My concern is for ruining my barrel finish upon removal if I don't keep it.

So, epoxy or solder? Other?

They make a thin (paper) two sided carpet tape that holds well, depends on how temporary of an attachment you're looking for, if just to try it out for a day or so this would work and easy to clean up, either because you don't like the sight or you want a more permanent attachment.

If you go the solder route you'll want to remove the barrel finish at the mounting location anyway, at that point you're comitted to refinishing that area if you don't like the sight.

I'd like to place what might be a temporary, but could turn out permanent, rear sight on my Tule FdC. I'm using an old brass rear sight off of an old rifle barrel. Not going to be dovetailing it as I'm not sure it will be kept.
I'm going to try it back really far compared to a rifle, more like a Type-G sight.

Thoughts on how to attach?
I'm leaning toward the low temp solder paste I have used to solder on some broken off barrel lugs.
Some have mentioned epoxy in the past. I'm concerned about how to remove the sight if I don't like it or need to replace it for some reason. And how to remove the epoxy once the sight is off.
Obviously heat will remove the soldered on sight. But, how to remove the solder at that point.
I'm sure either will hold the sight in place as long as I want it there. My concern is for ruining my barrel finish upon removal if I don't keep it.

So, epoxy or solder? Other?

I answered you over at the other forum on Black Max (Loc-Tite 380). It’s fairly expensive stuff (the big tube is anyway) so if you decide on it I’ll send you my bottle and you can send it back when done. PM here or there if you want to go that route. It’s super stuff.

I replied on the other site as well but someone may want the info here.
Grainger and Jensen Tool both carry it for around 7 or 8 dollars for a 3g tube. More than enough for this usage.

The 3g tubes are enough for forever. My 1oz bottle has been on my shelf for years and is still good. There's nothing like it in the world for small projects.

Barrel is steel, sight brass. They expand/shrink at different rates.
Epoxy will hold. To remove place in the freezer for an hour or so and the sight will just fall off. If not, just a tap with a piece of wooden dowel will do it.

Back