• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about a front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m replacing the front sight on my smoothbore. I have shortened the gun and now need to replace the sight. Before I solder the sight on I would like to attach it amd shoot the gun to be sure of positioning.
How would you recommend doing that? I was thinking matbe a drop of super glue?
Epoxy?
Any suggestions will be appreciated
Thanks Kevin

Why would you super glue it on ? If you put it on wrong or perfect yoyd have to take it back off anyway to do it correctly. Put barrel in vice . Wire wheel the area you want it or steel wool it clean , paste flux is best . Flux the spot you want the sight , file then flux bottom of sight , make sure bottom of sight is flat and ground square , heat barrel with for h constantly moving the flame around the area to warm it up . Place sight at spot and start heating sight too but still moving flame .Keep touching solder at base of sight until it sucks the solder underneath , youll see the shiny solder all around the edges of the base . Look down Barrel.length and see which way sight needs to go . Keep sighting down the barrel from Breech and adjusting sight left and right till it looks centered then leave it to slowly cool

Why would you super glue it on ? If you put it on wrong or perfect yoyd have to take it back off anyway to do it correctly. Put barrel in vice . Wire wheel the area you want it or steel wool it clean , paste flux is best . Flux the spot you want the sight , file then flux bottom of sight , make sure bottom of sight is flat and ground square , heat barrel with for h constantly moving the flame around the area to warm it up . Place sight at spot and start heating sight too but still moving flame .Keep touching solder at base of sight until it sucks the solder underneath , youll see the shiny solder all around the edges of the base . Look down Barrel.length and see which way sight needs to go . Keep sighting down the barrel from Breech and adjusting sight left and right till it looks centered then leave it to slowly cool
And....
If you find it is not exactly where you want it, heat it up and move it again.

Back