• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Semantics and Bore Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several of the PH's write that shooting the very large bore guns had lasting effects. Some of them even commented on having permanent nerve damage and detached retinas from recoil.

Zonie, it doesn't take that much to kill Big Dangerous Game even back then the extremely Large bore guns weren't popular. For every 4 or 6 bore built there were probably 25 8 bores and probably 100 10,12,16 bores built. From what Steve tells me he can only verify records that 12 2 bores were ever made. I don't mind the 8 bores I'm building one as a Spec Gun now and they aren't bad at all, and they are more than enough for dangerous game. If I had to pick an all around favorite, I would say the 16 bore (.66) is the perfect all around gun, it was commonly known as the one ouncer and was used for everything from small/medium North American game to large plains game in Africa. Easy to carry, pleasant to shoot, and very effective.

Steve has already made it clear to his customer that the gun will be delivered un-sighted, cause he won't shoot it.

C

kevthebassman said:
That's insanity! I'd like to shoot it...... once.
Insanity or at least real close to it.

I went over to Beartooth bullets and ran some numbers on one of their calculators:
.54Cal, 8 pound rifle, 230gr ball, 1800fps, 100gr powder= 21fp recoil energy at 13fps recoil velocity

8 bore, 12 pound rifle, 835gr ball, 1400fps, 300gr powder= 98fp recoil energy at 23fps recoil velocity

4 bore, 18 pound rifle, 1750gr ball, 1100fps, 325gr powder= 115fp recoil energy at 20fps recoil energy

2 bore, 22 pound rifle, 3500gr ball, 950fps, 375gr powder= 225fp recoil energy at 26fps recoil velocity

I don't care who you are that's gonna leave a mark.

C

wow you can use a fence post or a broom handle for a ramrod!! Looks like a caplock on steroids! Ramblow! Got to be a manly man to shoulder that thang!

That's 7015 foot pounds of muzzle energy....

Not SO overwhelming when you compare it to the .50cal BMG - 13059 ft lbs...

Still smarts at both ends, thouh.

tac

tac said:
That's 7015 foot pounds of muzzle energy....

Not SO overwhelming when you compare it to the .50cal BMG - 13059 ft lbs...

Still smarts at both ends, thouh.

tac
Yeah, except the 50 comes with a muzzle brake and recoil reducing technology built in, but I suppose if you took the brake off and shot it, it would feel about the same.

C

I'm sure that those fans of Patrick McMannus (like me) instantly visualize his stories about his being able to "clap his shoulder blades together" after both barrels on an old 12 guage fired at the same time. :rotf:

After firing a 2 guage he would probably have to pry his shoulder blades apart every morning just to put his shirt on. :rotf:

Back in the early 1800's there was a hunting club for English Gentlemen. The initiation was shooting a 2 bore at a target until you hit it. Very exclusive club. Not very many smart members. The gun was responsible for more than 1 death.

I pick us some of the darndest trivia in my reading!!

I'ze old..but it was in a history book...might even been a textbook. Just another one of those lodged memories...stuck 'til you shook my tree.

I think it was 1985 or 86 when I read it...but it might have been anytime from 1947 on...

I always like the old story about the great white hunter that fired his 4 bore at the elephant. They both fell down.
The first to rise was declared the winner and the loser’s effects were shared out according to the laws of the jungle. :grin:

Back