• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sell or restock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olpete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, hope you can help this newbie out. Bought a Turner Kirkland 40 cal.on the Internet on impulse. I believe this was made in Belguim. I find the stock configuration uncomfortable and the gun extremely barrel heavy to the point where I can't imagine enjoying shooting the gun. My thought of having the 42" barrel shortened to 34" and restocking reusing lock and trigger assemblies. This could possibly give me a pistol barrel for a future project. I have 350 in the gun at this point. My alternative is to sell and move on to a kit that my skill level could handle. Thanks for your thoughts.

:metoo: I also agree with the others :hmm: -- sell it - not worth the trouble to try to fix it up to your liking - you will not be happy with it :shake: .

I also believe that you will be farther ahead if you just try and enjoy the rifle as it is. Shoot it, clean it, and sell it. It is just another step to get you what you really want. When you consider the cost of just a good quality lock or barrel, you have an entire shootable rifle for much less than those two parts combined! I would also recommend that you do not shorten the barrel. Keeping your rifle as it was made will hold it's value much better than a rifle that has been messed with. Just my honest opinion and quite a few years of collecting experience.

I guess it would be kentucky...full stock this was a very early Dixie model I think their first non military offering.

I agree. Try shooting the rifle a few times or more. Another couple of dozen rounds down the barrel won't hurt the value. Make some notes about what you'd like different on your next rifle and start from there. :hmm:

Compared to rifles, ML pistol barrels have a fast twist. Because of the lower muzzle velocities, a faster twist is used to get the pistol ball RPMs up to a level to promote accuracy. So using a hunk of a rifle barrel probably won't give you a good pistol. Then you would have two guns you don't like.
Just get one gun that you really like, practice with it a lot, and you'll smile every time the smoke clears.

I'm going to ask if this is your first muzzleloader?

Long rifles tend to be of the most comfortable rifles to shoot...IMO....unless the length of pull is way to long or you're not shouldering it correctly....Or you have a unique physique.

Posting a picture would help.

Not my first muzzle loader...had several TC Hawkins long time ago, but moved into inlines for scoped hunting (kills me to see a scope on a old-timer style gun). So just getting back to basics and in process of joining a club. I also have picked up a sweet .36 TC Seneca which will be shooting this week. I haven't figured out pictures yet but the kirkland has a small deep butt plate with long horns fits my arm not shoulder...40 cal 42" barrel with 15/16 flats.

15/16 barrel could be bored out to 50 cal making it lighter, if you like the gun but not the weight. to me that is a heavy barrel for the cal.

Thought about that but would still not like the stock fit...this is what I get for playing on the Internet while recovering from knee replacements!

olpete - I have one of those Turner Kirklands. I also have a .36 Carolina rifle that gunmaker (Tom) here on the forum built for me. Additionally, I have a .45 Gillespie Rifle I recently built for myself.

I must confess that my Kirkland shoulders and points very similarly to my custom guns.

Perhaps some time with that gun out in the field will get you used to the unique dynamics of a longrifle? My longrifles are a lot different than my Hawken replica.

I gotta tell ya, it's as if that long barrel locks itself into place once I've got it steadied. I never reach for my short rifle anymore if I'm headed for the woods or the range.

olpete said:
Not my first muzzle loader...had several TC Hawkins long time ago, but moved into inlines for scoped hunting (kills me to see a scope on a old-timer style gun). So just getting back to basics and in process of joining a club. I also have picked up a sweet .36 TC Seneca which will be shooting this week. I haven't figured out pictures yet but the kirkland has a small deep butt plate with long horns fits my arm not shoulder...40 cal 42" barrel with 15/16 flats.
Funny... :haha: I find the T/C Hawkin uncomfortable to shoot....and those modern things are like trying to shoulder a trash can....

Slide the buttstock out onto your arm where meets the shoulder and shoot it ....much more comfortable..
Also don't make any decision until you have 500 rounds through it....Might be the best gun you've ever owned....

I'm coming down on the side of the consensus: shoot the gun for a bit, see if it works itself in, and if you still don't like it after a few hundred rounds, you should be able to get what you put into it and spend that towards something that does fit.

just one guy's opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the price!

I think you need to learn how to properly mount a gun to your shoulder. Mounting in front of a mirror will help with this. The worst thing is moving the gun out to your shoulder. That's how people end up with a black and blue shoulder. You have to work at this it won't happen by its self. Your head should not be leaning over, but straight forward and your shooting eye lined up straght down the barrel. The stock needs to be next to your neck on the shoulder bone in the pocket.

Rat Trapper said:
I think you need to learn how to properly mount a gun to your shoulder. Mounting in front of a mirror will help with this. The worst thing is moving the gun out to your shoulder. That's how people end up with a black and blue shoulder. You have to work at this it won't happen by its self. Your head should not be leaning over, but straight forward and your shooting eye lined up straght down the barrel. The stock needs to be next to your neck on the shoulder bone in the pocket.

First off... trying to explain body positions is incredibly hard by this medium.
If I'm understanding you correctly, the hold you describe sounds like a modern rifle hold. IE US military WW1 era to present day.

While that hold has merit for muskets and modern firearms but IMHO, it's not ideal for a deep Crescent butted late Southern longrifle.

I have found these types of rifles to be far easier to shoot off the ball of the shoulder or even off the upper arm. I believe the term is called "off hand".

My apologies if I miss understood.

Back