• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking stock advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start a underhammer rifle build. I have a deer creek receiver, .54 colrain "C" weight 42" barrel and a piece of wood. I had made a sample stock out of styrofoam, and then was able to get a tracing of a stock from gmmw (a member here).
I've never made a stock.
The wood I have has some burl. Should I include the burl or stay away from it as much as possible? I'm including some pics. I've positioned my paper outline in the places I'm contemplating cutting.
The last two pics are of the barrel and mock-up of the stock I drew without the outline; it is a little long, but pretty close.
I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks!

DSCF0639.jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

Sinner I got to figure that Styrofoam stock just wont hold up the recoil.!!! I'd go with the burl!! :rotf:
I can tell you as a wood worker, Burl is a very difficult wood to work,slow is the word.Finishing is best done with scrapers and lots of "slow and easy"
I would turn the pattern you have over just, to be more use of the wood unless you are looking at a particular grain pattern,.I make a pattern out of Lexan or Plexaglass,any clear plastic,,that way I can wet the wood put the pattern on the wood and move it around while I see the best wood pattern/grain I can get, The drop on the stock looks a little excessive,unless that is the look you want,The narrow end of the wood looks like a fore arm if cut correctly or a matching pistol stock to go with the rifle,,nice touch.....
That said where did you find all the metal parts to build an U/H?? PM me
Waiting to see it finished,,

I agree with Mike on the drop!

Might I suggest taking the measurements off a modern gun that fits you and transfering them to the underhammer rifle.

If it were mine I would try to use as much figure as possible and still keep the grain lay out right.

11.jpg

Let us know how it turns out!

SC45-70

Might go to "Google" then to "Images" and type in under hammer rifle.Lots of good pictures to look at,just to get a warm and fuzzy for the looks. Just a suggestion.

Sweet looking rifle,,the ram rod????? IMMO doesnt make me feel fuzzy!!FWIW.See another UH with a cheek piece on it????go figure.
Think about this: Time spent in the wood is the chance to be alone,without being lonely.
Under Hammer Flinter ha ha some fine pistol you got in your avitar,,

I agree on the drop. It is more excessive than I'm looking for. The paper outline I have is from a members underhammer in Post#1158902. It is the style I'm wanting. Thanks for the advice on the plexiglass. I will be using the front part for forearm.
I don't like the looks of the pistol grip stocks on the underhammers.

Sperit de bois said:
I would turn the pattern you have over just, to be more use of the wood unless you are looking at a particular grain pattern,...The narrow end of the wood looks like a fore arm if cut correctly or a matching pistol stock to go with the rifle,,nice touch.....
That said where did you find all the metal parts to build an U/H?? PM me
Waiting to see it finished,,

By turning the pattern over, do you mean swap it end to end, or to have the bottom of it all the way to the bottom of the wood where the burl is?

2.jpg

All my guns have that type ram rod!

The underhammer flintlock pistol is my design!

SC45-70

Wow, that scope looks like it would hit you in the face! I assume it does not. I had a friend who mounted a tube scope on a Hawken and it was a real "eye banger". :idunno: :idunno:

I'd make the plexaglass pattern and move it all over the wood till I found the most Figured area. If you dont want to invest in the plexaglass,for a one time build,I have taken cardboard and cut the pattern out of it,,making a "window" pattern,less expensive and works just as well.
Burl is difficult to work with power tools,Planers tend to chip out the burl,Tiger Maple is worse.Lots of sanding to get it done.
If you get wood from the roots/stump of a Black Walnut or other stock wood,there is where you can get some impressive color/figures.
Great part about making your own stock/rifle,,,build it,custom,exactly the way you want it.
Enjoy the experience!!!!!!!!!! I have made some impressive 'Designer" firewood though ha ha ha ha
See you at Point a la Barbe!!!!

i agree that the drop looks a bit too much ... try making a 'try stock' out of plywood (with a wing nut & washer where the wrist goes) and you'll be able to make adjustments which will result in a stock that fits you.

in the alternative, find a rifle or shotgun which fits you and use that as a pattern for the stock you're building.

your wood has some really beautiful curl in it, and the idea of making a plexiglass pattern so you can see what you'll get is really clever --- gotta remember that one.

good luck with your build ... please send in pictures as it goes!

That scope has over 4 inches of eye relief.

Ive got 3 of them mounted on rifles (58,62 and 45-70) and have never had one hit me!

SC45-70

Back