• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long barrel-short stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskaboy92

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m starting a full stock hawken build with a 38” barrel, finally received all my parts yesterday and noticed the barrel is a true 38”from base of tang plug to tip of barrel. The stocks barrel inlet is only 36 3/4”. If I inlet too far back the drum won’t match with the lock placement. I was thinking of adding a small piece of wood to the tip of the stock via dowels and using a nose cap to hide the transition, what do you think?

Or you could let it overhang the stock by 1.25 inches.

And make a custom ramrod with a swelled tip to match the bore diameter.

Would tuck in nicely and give you room to get your fingers in there and pull the ramrod out.

P.S. If you extend the stock, get yourself some fancy schmancy wood and make the nose a prominent detail.

No need to hide your craftsmanship.

Last edited:
I would just leave the stock that inch or so short and not worry about it. But I guess one could add in a extra fancy nose cap though I would not bother.

I ended up using the nose cap I had realized it’s not as big a gap as I thought,

Attachments

• FBA1DE0A-8F75-4081-8CE2-F124C1DBB840.jpeg
    FBA1DE0A-8F75-4081-8CE2-F124C1DBB840.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FEDE6B20-540B-4792-B528-8984D7D23A3E.jpeg
    FEDE6B20-540B-4792-B528-8984D7D23A3E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back