• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking advice on a Long Rifle for 1st flintlock purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Col. Batguano said:
I would say rather than look at different guns and models to start with, that you should make a list of the actual FEATURES you find most attractive, together with your perceived NEED or primary purpose for the gun before you start shopping. Otherwise, it's awfully easy to get overwhelmed, because they ALL have their attractive points.

If this is to be a "general purpose" gun, and you hunt big tough game, like Alaskan Brown Bears, then your needs will be significantly different than someone only intends to shoot paper targets on woods walks.

Well, my purpose hasn't changed since the first post, but I've narrowed down my preferences a bit: I want a custom or semi-custom (like TVM or Tip Curtis) long rifle. I'm pretty sure I want a Lancaster or Bucks County style (or similar). I haven't totally ruled out a southern/Tennessee style, but am leaning more towards Pennsylvania colonial styles. I want a swamped barrel, but am still hmming and hawing over length: 38" or 42" (or longer!). I know I'd take a .54, but I don't think I'd walk away from a .50 caliber that was otherwise right. I'm most likely only going to hunt deer and pronghorns with it anyway. I'd have to be very confident with myself and my gun before I go after Elk, and I'd have to find a good spot. I have a hard enough time getting a decent shot at them with my .30-06. It'll mostly be riverbottom whitetails.

I've chatted with a few custom makers, TVM, and Tip Curtis (on the phone). I've had quotes from just under $1200 for a TN Poor Boy Style to $1600 for a nicer wood Lancaster county gun (and of course, plenty in the $2K+ range). That's all for simple guns with no major ornamentation. Looking at a few used options as well.

I'll keep you posted! I'm trying to be patient and wait until I find just the right one, while still giving myself time to get to knwo my gun before next fall.

WELL my kit from track of the wolf had a green mountain barrel and a siler locks so the barrel is in the top three and siler is the one of the best you can find so it's up to the person that slap it together

Hi,
If you want a colonial-style gun then Jim Kibler's new kit is hands down the best buy. All of the others are not up to the same standard. Chamber's kits offer more choices and are high quality. All the rest are OK but not of the same standard both with respect to historical accuracy and quality.

dave

I wanted a TVM Tennessee in .54 as my deer rifle, I talked with Matt Vance at TVM and he recommended that I get the Early Virginia, the stock distributes recoil better and I have been very happy with it.

I love the early Virginia. Jack Garner made me one when he still ran the company. I asked him for a slim light rifle and he made it with a 13/16" straight barrel in .50 cal.. I have ordered one of Jim's kits as it closely resembles the Virginia and the only thing that I would change would be to change the brass mountings to steel.

The Kibler kits are extremely high-quality and backed by a great guy. I wouldn't consider anything else. The little bit of work you put into it to finish it will make it yours and give you years of pride.

aaronyetter said:
Don't do it it's a slippery w 1 leads to 2 than 3

sadly, an addiction for which there is no cure... no chemical therapy, no twelve step program - nothing ”¦

I suspect that he has already fallen, and that in a few short years he will become fascinated by little bits of sharp rock, and that his co- workers and family will consider him more that a little bit eccentric, but otherwise harmless.

except that think about shooting lubes ”¦ he did say 'lubes,' and not "rubes?"

how does one field dress rube? Are there "rube" recipes on line or u- tube or something?

MSW said:
aaronyetter said:
Don't do it it's a slippery w 1 leads to 2 than 3

sadly, an addiction for which there is no cure... no chemical therapy, no twelve step program - nothing ”¦

I suspect that he has already fallen, and that in a few short years he will become fascinated by little bits of sharp rock, and that his co- workers and family will consider him more that a little bit eccentric, but otherwise harmless.

Ha!
Yes, I've fallen, or at least slipped a bit. I've commissioned a .54 Lancaster rifle from a Virginia maker, Kent Smith (Augusta Forge Longrifles). It's been promised by early July. Fortunately I'll be kept busy in the interim.

Then, maybe I'll start looking at a Kibler SMR kit in a squirrel caliber to whack gophers and share with the kids.

But hey, I can kit--err, I mean quit--whenever I want to...

I just reread my post. I mean share the rifle with the kids, not the gophers.

tenor.gif

I received the rifle this morning: my first impression is that it's a very balanced gun that shoulders and points very naturally and holds very steady.

Can you shoot that thing right there off the deck ?
What a great rifle & perfect spot to shoot it from.
Yeah, & .54 as well :grin:
O.

19 16 6 said:
Can you shoot that thing right there off the deck ?
What a great rifle & perfect spot to shoot it from.
Yeah, & .54 as well :grin:
O.

Yes, I can shoot right off my porch, although when I do my wife rolls her eyes and calls me a redneck :grin:

What's also fun about my porch: in the 3rd photo down,the one with the full length right side shot of the rifle, you can dimly see a butte in the background directly over the hammer of the gun. That's Beaverhead Rock, which was an important landmark for Sacagawea on the Lewis and Clark expedition, telling her that they were reaching the Shoshone summer grounds - they went right down the valley by my house!

I've got the muzzleloader bug, and it's gotta be a flintlock. It also has to be a long rifle or other full stock design. Any recommendations on a good value? I'd use it for hunting (mostly deer, maybe an elk some day), targets, and general powder burning. I think I've settled on starting with a long rifle style in .50 or .54 caliber, although I'm not ruling out other bore sizes as long as it's over .45 (the legal limit for MT hunting).

I've been eyeballing the Pedersoli line, particularly the "Frontier," which is sold by Cabela's as the "Blue Ridge" for $650 (with free shipping at the moment). I like the lines, the long barrel, and the reviews I've read. I've also been eyeing the Tennesee Valley Muzzleloading "Poor Boy" Tennessee or Southern Rifle, which cost over $400 more. If I can explore this project for less money, I'll prefer to, but I don't want to buy a gun that will just frustrate me (or an ugly gun ).

I'm not ruling out a kit build, but I'd feel better cutting my teeth on a gun that's already built. If I was going to try a build, I'd want one that was mostly complete or even built "in-the-white." I hear Kibler offers the former.

I also love smoothbore guns, like military muskets and the Fusil de Chasse, but I think it would be prudent to start hunting with a rifle and become proficient before I challenge myself with a smoothbore.

The only percussion guns I might consider are European Military styles like the 53 Enfield, but I'm really much more interested in a flintlock. Montana doesn't have a Muzzleloader season, so the only real incentive for me is the connection to history, so even though other muzzleloader designs might be more efficient, I'm not really interested. I want it old fashioned and purty. American Long Rifles, military style rifled muskets, trade guns...

So with that in mind, can anyone offer recommendations? What are good options for a reliable, attractive flinter with a full length wooden stock and a (fairly) authentic historical aesthetic and function? What is to be avoided and why? What do I need to know about and keep in mind? As I mentioned, low price is important - I don't think I can pay more than the cost of a TVM right now, and even that will involve selling off a modern gun or two - but so is having something attractive that won't be full of frustrations.

Don't worry - I won't hunt with anything that I haven't learned and practiced to proficiency.
I'm building a custom off a Pedersoli frontier. My main issue is that the barrel ain't pinned. It's mounted with the ferrule screws. Every time I clean the rifle it seems I lose one. I have a stash of them now.
Of the repro powder guns out there, Pedersoli undoubtedly leads the field. This is reflected in their price. The crux to me, is cost. That seems to be the case with most folks I know. I normally buy my guns used. Got burned a few times, but I struck gold a time or two also.

Thank you for that feedback. Since you all hunt in some of the worst conditions in the country, that says a lot.

Gus
Pedersoli locks are fine. My frontier has a L&R Ketland lock on it. That's because I just lost patience with Elisa at Pedersoli, not because the S.400 (If I recall) lock has issues.

Back