• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sear and Tumbler work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix the Cat

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a nice Wesley Richards percussion side by side in 16bore, and having checked out the barrels, took it for a test firing.. no problems, except that the left hand lock kept falling into half cock..

Having stripped down the locks I found that someone had been "playing" with the left hand sear and tumbler, which was pretty ragged. Having cleaned up the face of the sear, I examined the geometry of the tumbler. It would appear that someone had been reducing the depth of the bent by removing metal from the top surface, presumably to lighten the pull.. this had now lowered the release point for the sear, so that it was in line with the bottom of half cock notch rather than the top, so that instead of the tumbler correctly rotating, it fell into the half cock notch..

The solution was to add metal to the top surface of the tumbler bent to raise the release point. This was done using a TIG welder followed by re profiling with needle files and then case hardening and polishing with Water of Ayr stones..

I suspect that a previous owner was trying to reduce the travel of the sear in the bent, however chose to remove metal from the top surface instead of adding it to the bottom surface. There are a number of ways to achieve this. The modern solution would be to add metal with TIG or laser weld to the lower surface of the bent, however not everyone has this facility available to them. An older, but just as effective solution is to drill one or two small holes below the bent and glue or solder pins in the holes to raise the sear in the notch.

As in all trigger/sear work, be very careful not to reduce the trigger pull to dangerous levels.. the angle of the surface of the sear/bent should run through the centre of the tumbler axis as a starting point. IMG_1521.JPG

Nice to see some one that understands how things work doing gun work rather then the cobble jobs we often hear about!

Hi Felix,
I had to do the exact same procedure but to actually move the full cock notch back so the flint cock had a longer throw. This was on a back action flintlock designed for a swivel breech rifle. I added weld and then filed it to shape such that the lip of the notch was at the same radius from the tumbler spindle as the lip of the half cock notch. I case hardened the tumbler and it has worked well since.

dave

Hi Felix,
I had to do the exact same procedure but to actually move the full cock notch back so the flint cock had a longer throw. This was on a back action flintlock designed for a swivel breech rifle. I added weld and then filed it to shape such that the lip of the notch was at the same radius from the tumbler spindle as the lip of the half cock notch. I case hardened the tumbler and it has worked well since.

dave
I thought about doing this, however as the hammer combs lined up nicely on both locks when I started it would have ended up with them at different heights, and looking like a Spaniel with its tongue hanging out!

Better to leave it as Mr Richards intended I think...?

Last edited:
Back