• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on a good solution for a better flintlock shotgun trigger pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In checking a double 12 guage flintlock for proper function, I noticed the right L&R lock was a little on the heavy side for trigger pull. (strickly going by trigger feel, no trigger pull guage) Left lock was good. Here is a photo of the tumbler showing the sear in the full cock position.
Since the tumbler has a fly, I am considering trimming the over depth of the full cock notch. My thoughts are to first trim the full cock notch so it is a deep at the sear toe thickness, & will be flush with the outside curve of the tumbler. Check to see it that helps. I know it will shorten trigger travel, but not sure if it will decrease trigger pull weight. When I remove the tumbler I will inspect the half cock notch to make sure it is parallel to the sear toe and polished. If the aforementioned fails I intend to thin the sear spring a tad. The sear spring takes about 3.5lbs of energy to trip the sear.
Comments would be appreciated.
Larry
IMG_5757.jpeg

I'd be checking around in that lock mortise first to see if anything is binding on wood. If all is good there you need to change the angle of the full cocktail notch. Is it hard to trip out side of the stock?

edit. I see spell check can't handle the word cock.🤣

Last edited:
it appears to me that the lock plate is bent into the sear arm. i would be leery of shortening the full cock notch, i don't think it would do anything to lighten the trigger pull.

Your eyeballs see what I see in the posted #1pic, but in reality the plate is good in my opion. At 11" you can see a slight defection from 180 deg.
Good point to be aware of.
Thanks
Larry
IMG_5766.jpeg

I'd be checking around in that lock mortise first to see if anything is binding on wood. If all is good there you need to change the angle of the full cocktail notch. Is it hard to trip out side of the stock?
Thanks for the reminder, but the lock works the same out of the stock. It is shootable, just not to my liking. I will be checking the sear toe to full cock notch fit and diamand stone as needed.

Larry

Expanding on what Mike said: Easy way to see if your full cock notch is at the right angle is to see if the tumbler is moving as the sear is released, if the tumbler moves either direction as the sear releases the angle is wrong. If it moves to the cocking direction it can make the trigger pull a lot heavier than it needs to be and most do as this is a captive condition for the sear and accidental sear release is less likely to nearly impossible, if it moves toward the firing direction at all it's very likely unsafe and should be fixed before loading. Accidental sear release in this condition is much more likely. Once the angle is correct it's pretty straighforward to get a good trigger pull.

@Larry (Omaha)

I saw both of your pics.

Do you have wear marks on the lock plate from the sear? If not disregard my thoughts on the lock plate. But @Tom A Hawk had a good point, the lock parts do look very rough.

Please look closely at the tail of the lock plate. According to your first pic, from what I see, the sear is pressing on the plate excessively. I saw your straight edge pic and it looks good but that first pic.....

@Larry (Omaha)

I saw both of your pics.

Do you have wear marks on the lock plate from the sear? If not disregard my thoughts on the lock plate. But @Tom A Hawk had a good point, the lock parts do look very rough.

Please look closely at the tail of the lock plate. According to your first pic, from what I see, the sear is pressing on the plate excessively. I saw your straight edge pic and it looks good but that first pic.....
There was one spot where the sear right angles from the side plate about 1/8" in diameter. I took a file and smoothed it out. I don't think it had any significance to the hard trigger pull.
Thanks
Larry

Remove the main spring. Function the lock manually and observe for points of contact. Polish where necessary. Grind the sear spring to reduce trigger pull.

PS - Perhaps its the high magnification but these components look a bit rough.
The photo did not turn out very well. Yes, what you see is not good. One of the poorest sear toes I have seen. It will get stoned.
Thanks
Larry

Respectfully don't you believe the staight edge? (9:01am)
I think this is the culprit, and the full cock notch needs a little stoning
Larry

View attachment 235872
That definitely need a proper blueprinting. From the looks of the lock, someone who knows what they are doing would have 6-8 hours into smoothing the internals properly, being careful to not change any angles.

Latest posts

Back