• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sealed caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said it was an old practice in military units carried over from the flint days, it realy has no application for todays shooters but in its time it was the best thing available for troops who had to do patroling in wet weather for extended periods of time in enemy country. The normal routine of clearing weapons would have given away their positions etc..The cap prime material was very hydroscopic more so than todays compositions.

I have heard of hunters sealing the cap on their percussion rifles with fingernail polish when loading before going out to hunt.

Back in the day I don't know why they couldn't have used a dab of oil paint around the nipples to seal the load on the pistols. This would be a back in camp thing and not something done in the field. After shooting I would expect that all paint residue would be burned off.

Many Klatch

I tried using primer sealant on my revolver, almost identical to nail polish. It killed the compound in my caps and took up to two refires to finally touch off some of the chambers. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm glad I found out about it at the range and not elsewhere.

Ok sorry about getting a bit stroppy , the documented details can be found in British Ordenance records .The British had an enormous amout of trouble with paper cartridges issued to the tropics ( India ,Africa ,WestIndies, Australia). The paper would fall apart, the bullet grease would melt and degrade the powder,the same grease when used to seal around the capped nipples would melt . They tried tin foil cartridges,different papers, different bullet greases . The problem solved itself when they started using brass cartridges. There are volumes of reports , complaints to amunition suppliers etc. . I can only suppose that untill the 1890s the USA did not field large bodies of troops into the tropics that this cap sealing thingy is unknown to a large number of US . fourm members,never the less it was sop for the Brits.. :)

i read somewhere that Mr Hickock (Wild Bill) sealed his revolvers wih candlewax.....I'm a looking for it to post

George Nonte use to recommend softening beeswax in your fingers, and smearing it around the base of a seated cap, IIRC.

I would be afraid any oil-based sealer would wick up under the cap and kill the priming.

Back