• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas303

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all I’m having an issue with my Colt Dragoon revolver.

The cap nipples split the cap even #11s it seems like a different style/brand may be necessary???

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

It's normal for the caps to explode when fired. The 1849 is also very problematic for getting cap jams from them falling down in the works. I only eliminated the problem once I started using my 3d printed caps.

If you watch the old B&W Westerns (1920's/1940's), you'll notice the actors raise their revolvers over their head as they cocked them. This, I've been told, was a result of the training they recieved from old hands who had used CNB in real life. It was to help eliminate cap jams. I've tried it, it does help to a degree. But I never had a person born in the 19th century train me.

It's normal for the caps to explode when fired. The 1849 is also very problematic for getting cap jams from them falling down in the works. I only eliminated the problem once I started using my 3d printed caps.
Any chance we could see a pic of these? That’s a great idea.

you are limited to whatever caps you can find. figuer out how to make your pistol work with what you have. if by some miracle you can find a different brand of caps let us know because we can't find any caps at all.

Any chance we could see a pic of these? That’s a great idea.
20240306_115421.jpg

Over time, I have followed the many issues to be found on many of the bp pistols being offered. I don't believe that we are being offered finally tuned products. From the prior discussions, you probably have some ill formed nipples. Either purchase some new nipples, maybe fix the issue or result in continued problems. Or, perhaps mic. the nipples and tune them, using a drill and emery. Personally, I went with tuning the nipples to address ill fitting caps along with nipple flaring issues from ill fitting hammers.

What Swampbilly said. The Slixshot nipples are great. And work well with #11's. They are a Veteran owned company also.

I posted this in another thread but it seems pertinent to post here too…

So, I am sitting here thinking. There are sooooo many posts on soooo many threads about caps not fitting nipples. Makes me wonder, way back when was this an issue?
I mean, John Henry in his dusty western town needs caps because Dastardly Dan has called him out for a high noon street meet, and now he cant find caps to fit his revolver(s). So he rides to next town and told he needs to change the nipples to aftermarket ones. I can’t imagine it was always like this.
Did Wild Bill telegraph back east and have some guy from Pony Express show up in Deadwood with a package of caps / nipples.
When the hell did it all go wrong?

I posted this in another thread but it seems pertinent to post here too…

So, I am sitting here thinking. There are sooooo many posts on soooo many threads about caps not fitting nipples. Makes me wonder, way back when was this an issue?
I mean, John Henry in his dusty western town needs caps because Dastardly Dan has called him out for a high noon street meet, and now he cant find caps to fit his revolver(s). So he rides to next town and told he needs to change the nipples to aftermarket ones. I can’t imagine it was always like this.
Did Wild Bill telegraph back east and have some guy from Pony Express show up in Deadwood with a package of caps / nipples.
When the hell did it all go wrong?
I was thinking about that the other day. There's supposed to be 2 common sizes (not counting musket), 10's and 11's. Manufacturers wanted to veer off the path and make their own sizes of those 2 which is stupid.

What Swampbilly said. The Slixshot nipples are great. And work well with #11's. They are a Veteran owned company also.

First, I have full admiration and respect for those that serve as well as fully support. I don't believe that being a Veteran owned company means anything. There are good and bad vets just like all of us. Duke Cunningham comes to mind. A great service member and the most iconic jet dog fight (you don't get many of those) of all the jet fights. He goes to congress on his record and turns into a crook. Sigh.

Slixshot cones are good, be careful on the advice for the Pietta NMA type. They recommended the shorter cones, they are picky on the gun for what type cap they will fire.

That is rare in their book, two choices for the Pietta NMA but the longer ones would be better in my view.

Latest posts

Back