• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screwdrivers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good comments and tips here. Especially about the lifetime guarantee on the bits! Glad I sprung for them. Also a great idea about using allen wrenches for a basis for making some.
Wes

Super thin screw slots look pretty and all, but they are pure evil. I cut slots with a hacksaw/file to a much more usable size.

Most of "our" types of guns simply don't need the same screw heads as are found on ultra expensive English shotguns.

You would be hard pressed to find one of these paper thin screw slots on an 18th century American rifle (or a European one, for that matter).

But yes, definitely get some good screwdrivers with hollow ground tips that won't bang up the screw slots (as much).

I have a set of the red-handled Forster/Bonanza gun screwdrivers that I got many years ago that you would have a hard time getting away from me! Very good screwdrivers.

I have a set of those Bonanza screwdrivers and two of them have broken. I don't think they are adequate for my use.

Are any sets made of better tempered steel?

I have broken the tiniest one, but the rest have performed wonderfully for me for probably 25 years. And frankly, with these ultra tiny screws and ultra tiny slots and their required ultra tiny screwdrivers, I think we're asking too much of them. I've broken Grace screwdrivers too. I don't know if there is such a thing as an indestructible screwdriver, especially in the smallest sizes.

For traditional muzzleloading guns, you should never have any of these itsy bitsy screws (except for maybe the trigger set screw...which isn't tightened anyway).

If I were doing a lot of modern guns with small screws (I don't do so much of that anymore), I'd probably get a set with the little removable tips and/or just grind some of the tips myself... and then promptly lose them! :haha: I need actual full size screwdrivers!

Latest posts

Back