• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screwdrivers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarTay6

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to expand my screwdrivers... I have a set of 8 Grace screwdrivers, yet I find myself having to thin the thinnest of these to fit screws I'm encountering with black powder guns. Any recommendations specifically for thin screwdrivers? Working with a Green Mountain barrel this week, the screws on it have .03" wide slots... really narrow! Do the Brownell sets typically go that thin? Any other suggestions?
Wes

:rotf:
Anyone else care to chime in with the same avatar??
Wes
Late breaking news! I found the answer!
Brownell's has a super thin screwdriver bit add-on set for their Magna-Tip screwdrivers, bits .020"/.025" thickness-
080-120-000WB Thin-Bit MAGNA-TIP® Set. I called their tech support to confirm the thicknesses.
Additionally, their add-on bits are available in thickness's from .030 on up. Just use their search engine and search "Magna-Tip bits".
Time to spend some more money. :doh: :doh:

I own both sets from Brownells. Well worth the investment and you won't encounter a gun screw that you don't have the proper bit for once you've got these on your bench.

I just buy another set of standard flat screw drivers and grind them down to specifically fit certain screws ( tang, lock, etc.) and mark them with colored electrical tape. A bit cheaper way and they fit perfectly. :wink:

Not a bad idea... just a thought- Steward-McDonald- a lutherie supply- has nut files, for cutting specific thickness slots for strings... might work nicely for screw heads as well... though they're rounded, not flat edged.
I did place an order for the standard set with the add-on super thin bit set... so I'm good to go now. Or will be when they get here! I know it's the right answer.
Wes

I've always ground down screwdrivers for firearms. The screw slots are usually parallel while the thickness of the screwdriver tapers. You want that screwdriver to completely occupy the screw slot. Take any burrs off the edges but don't round the edges.

I know... I understand the point with hollow ground screwdrivers. It certainly becomes more difficult to grind them properly the thinner they get! I've not had to do enough to get good at it :grin:
Wes

I bought a handle and a number of blades from Brownells. later, while away from home shooting, I bought a gunsmith screwdriver kit from Walmart for about $10.00. The Walmart kit seems to be as good as the ones from Brownells, except for the incredibly thin ones for the sidelock screws.

My only question would be the difference in the quality of the steel in the bits in a $100 set from Brownells- vice the steel in the bits in a $10 set from Wal-Mart. I doubt they're the same quality, and that's what matters. Easy to make something look alike. Granted, in the thicker bits it matters less....
Ultimately, you generally get what you pay for.
Wes

I file all my screw slots out to a normal size, don't like skinny slotted screws.

I do that too, for my black powder rifles and guns, for I have found that if something goes wrong in the field, I'm not carrying my set of Brownell's screwdriver bits (good product btw), so I can't use one of the turnscrews in my shooting bag when that happens, and thus can't correct the problem so then I'm .... screwed. :haha:

LD

Nuttin' fancy here. I buy old screwdrivers at flea markets, antique shops, garage sales, etc.
I just grind to fit my current need. And I use them for many other things from awls to scrapers. Usually very good steel and the price is right.

When browsing through hardware stores I'm always on the lookout for wood handled screwdrivers. Some are cheap and some are modeately priced, but all but one set have hardened blades that don't deform when used. These are ground down to fit various screw slots. Some of these have been ground a few times until all the sizes of slots have been accommodated.

The "blades" are all hollow ground to avoid "buggering up" the slots and the heads on all my screws are "Kasinited". Really hate "buggered" slots.

My "good" Craftsman screwdrivers are never ground and have had these since 1954 and the steel is amazing....no deformation of the tips and these are square shanked for use w/ a wrench for stubborn screws.

Really interesting buying these wood handled "cheapy" screwdrivers and have only encounterted one set w/ "soft" metal.....Fred

"if something goes wrong in the field, I'm not carrying my set of Brownell's screwdriver bits (good product btw), so I can't use one of the turnscrews in my shooting bag when that happens, and thus can't correct the problem so then I'm .... screwed."

Here's something that I do. I buy odd used allen wrenches at garage sales etc. Grind the short and long arm to the desired thickness' to fit the screws on your gun. They are generally made of some type of tool steel, hard as a rock, no need to harden or temper when you are done IF you don't over heat them when grinding them. They are small enough to fit in your shooting pouch and are darned handy to have in an emergency (change a flint or ?) and cheap, nearly free. Grind the short arm to fit the cock screw slot for maximum torque and the other end for lock screws that don't need so much tightening force.

"Here's something that I do. I buy odd used allen wrenches at garage sales etc. Grind the short and long arm to the desired thickness' to fit the screws on your gun. They are generally made of some type of tool steel, hard as a rock, no need to harden or temper when you are done IF you don't over heat them when grinding them. They are small enough to fit in your shooting pouch and are darned handy to have in an emergency (change a flint or ?) and cheap, nearly free. Grind the short arm to fit the cock screw slot for maximum torque and the other end for lock screws that don't need so much tightening force."

Great idea there Laffin.

I bought the magna-tip set from Brownell's in the mid 80's and over the years managed to break several tips of the set. Finally decided to bite the bullet and order replacements.
Called Brownell's, spoke to the salesperson, and she promptly told me the set is guaranteed for life! I told her which I had broken and she said they are on their way!
Wal-Mart wont do that.

Eterry

I agree. One of my pet peeves is seeing buggered up screw slots on an otherwise fine looking firearm.
The tools are out there. Use them. Help preserve your smokepole for future generations.
I have most of the interchangable bits from Brownells. Didn't buy them all at one time. Built up the kit over the course of years. It was easier on the wallet that way.

Latest posts

Back