• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

scratch repair question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an easy fix. Just use some fine grade steel wool to sand it out smooth. The scratch is in the finish and not the wood. Then wipe it with a tack cloth. Then just wipe with Tru-oil or whatever finish you are using. For deep scratches, wrap stock with a wet towel and steam out the dents and scratches. It will ruin the finish but the underlying wood will be perfect. Just sand off the old finish and recoat with layers of Tru oil until you get the desired sheen. If it is to glossy, lightly sand with extra fine steel wool and wipe with tack cloth for a satin finish.

i know all those tricks but, once i smooth out the scratch which is down into the aqua fortis, the white maple shows through.
qustion is,
-do i try to color that small area with aqua fortis again?
-or do i dye it close?
-or stain of some sort?
and
-has anyone spot repaired with aqua fortis finish?

this is a scratch through the finish that can't be steamed out.

thanks
ou
tom

In that case, I would spot stain it to color match it. It is hardly noticeable. I repaired an old shotgun stock that was beat to heck with deep gouges and scratches. I wanted to retain the age and not make it like new, but still make it look well kept. Here is the result. Later I removed some of the shine to give it a satin finish.
36CCC05C-E9E2-4AEF-A3E2-54FECEB05E22.jpeg

Hey bud, I hear what you are asking and it appears almost all the answers coming are not in alignment with your question. Obviously ignoring it is not what you are seeking, so let’s get back to your question of repair options...
I have no experience with aquafortis so cannot comment about it directly. With that being said, I would likely lightly sand and feather it out then follow up with a spot refinish. Hopefully someone will come along with actual knowledge and provide better guidance, or options, rather than “just ignore it.”
Walk

If you plan on doing anything with the rifle other than hanging it on the wall, it won't be the last scratch, just the first!

go to a hardgoods store and get a furniture crayon that matches the wood, and apply it.

I hunt with my Dickert Pennsylvania Longrifle replica.....and take it to the range a lot.....and I don't handle it like it's a fine work of art. All the scratches, dings, and dents are starting to blend in with the areas where I didn't do the original sanding and finishing as well as I should have. It's starting to look a bit like it really is from the year 1770.

A womem told me that to get scratches out of wood is to use a macademia/brazil nut and rub it out..I was skeptical until i tried it on a hatfeild stock that was scratched through right into the lighter wood.

Back