• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scout rifle kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to build a .54 cal, short barrel, full stock in curly maple, flintlock rifle. I have heard it called a Pennsylvania Scout rifle.

Where can I get one at or better yet where can I find a kit to make one?

I wan it to look like this guys rifle.

Well judging from that image, that's a shotgun in that image not a rifle. (imho) Might be some sort of Northwest Trade Gun cut down to 30" or less.

Now for a Western Rifle, you probably want a full stocked Plains Rifle with a 36" barrel. An experienced builder could shorten that even further if so desired.

A third option would be to find a good, used, Thompson Center Hawken in .54 and flintlock, and restock it and its 28" barrel (8" shorter than the above Hawken kit) with a Fancy Full Stock .

I think the third option is what you'd be looking for. If you're going to do that you will probably want to upgrade to a Davis Replacement Lock .

LD

Out of curiosity (and off-topic), it is obvious as to why beards would have been common in the wild, during any time period. The rendering above shows an American with a flintlock gun (so presumably pre-1840?) and big moustache. I could be wrong, but I didn't think styled facial hair such as a moustache was a thing with Americans during that period.

Smollett

Smollett said:
Out of curiosity (and off-topic), it is obvious as to why beards would have been common in the wild, during any time period. The rendering above shows an American with a flintlock gun (so presumably pre-1840?) and big moustache. I could be wrong, but I didn't think styled facial hair such as a moustache was a thing with Americans during that period.

Smollett

To me that picture looks 1845 at the earliest, and more 1860's or 70's.
But one has to take into account the time period in which it was painted and the preferences of the painter.....
If the painting was done in the 1970's for example and the painter did a self portrait or envisioned himself as the scout, and the painter had a mustache....... It is often difficult for someone with a mustache to envision themselves without it......

Not in curly maple and not in 54 cal but Pedersoli makes a "Scout Rifle" in 32, 45 and 50 Cal.

Available in flint or percussion - has a 28'ish inch barrel described as a carbine version of a Penn rifle.

Might be available in kit form (many Ped models are).

You can have a look here (Scout Rifle)

Back